Best way to repair deep long scratches in ext plastic trim

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:47 pm
This happened, not my fault as someone pushed a low metal cart by the car and scratched it, and insurance is paying for an entire new trim and mud flap - but I am wondering if I may fix it myself.

It looks worse than it is with these close ups, for example when you stand by the car you can't even see it, because it is on that lowermost bottom plastic trim, under the door:

If I were to do it myself, I have these three products in my garage already:

Glazing and Spot putty:

Sort of bumper repair epoxy, also works as filler:

Bondo:

Which of three should I use?

I am thinking of getting this touch up spray paint, with the primer and clear coat from this outfit: https://touchupdirect.com :
which they don't list it for my exact car, which my car is a 2018 S60, but they do list the exact correct color which is Osmium Gray Metallic (Color Code: 714).

What do you think? Can I do this myself?

The scratches extend for about 31 inches.

I figure if it doesn't end up perfect, I can always then turn it over to the body shop for full replacement of the trim piece. I wouldn't be so eager to try except as I mentioned you can't even see the scratches when standing by the car, practically have to get on your knees and look at the car from the underside to notice anything.

P.S. Does the can of bondo-glass go bad? Can has been sealed, but the bondo seems somewhat gluey and sticky not so fluid, I can't remember if that's the way it was when I first got it.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm
The bondo is probably not spoiled, but you do need the tube of activator for it.

I have a question - before going through all the trouble of repairing then painting that plastic, which is going to end up being a pretty fragile finish compared to OEM and will likely chip to heck over time...did you price out a replacement strip? Maybe one off a clean salvage yard vehicle?

My first thought is to always weigh the difference (and end result) between "repair" and "replace"...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 pm
Thanks much Chris.

Yes, that's an idea, trying to find another strip. It's a 2018 Volvo S60 Inscription so there aren't a ton out there yet (in salvage yards), this longer wheelbase model has only been around a couple of years. The insurance co. figured the retail on that rocker molding strip at $260. (just the part). As I mentioned, I wouldn't attempt the repair myself except that you can't even see the scratches standing right by the side of the car, you have to put your hand down there and feel them to notice it. Also I might not keep the car past a few years, been selling and getting a new one every few years lately.

I do have the activator tube for the bondo still, didn't lose it. The bondo in the can is the consistency of still melted plastic, before it hardens, somewhat, is the best I can describe it.

Now that you mention how fragile the paint finish might be - what if I filled the scratches and then applied touch up paint all along, versus spray painting the whole area, although 31 inches long that's a long strip of touch up paint maybe that's not feasible.

Even if I take it to a body shop and have them do it professionally I don't think the paint on that new strip will be as good as factory.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 am
seems youd be able to get that trim at a dealership. personally id be lookin into that before spending time trying to fix it.
The insurance co. figured the retail on it, but that doesnt mean thats retail.
i also wouldnt want an insurance claim for a piece of trim.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am
If I replace/repaint the entire strip then the portion that is visible - the top half - would have this new paint on it which I can’t do the paint job as well as the body shop. If I repair it I’d want to, if possible, paint over only the lower section with the scratches (and retain/maintain the factory finish on the top half).

So anyway if I were to try to fill the scratches, after sanding and all, what would be the best filler product?
Last edited by cromeyellow on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm
I'd be asking the question: "Is it worth it?"

By your own admission you're not going to achieve a job that will be at the same standard as the rest of the car and it's going to cost you maybe $100 in materials, plus a day to do it.

In a shop that will take a few hours and the cost to repair will probably be a couple of hundred dollars. The colour will match and the clear will be 2K - high gloss and durable.

In my shop we do those regularly - at $200-250 (and it seems I'm dear compared with what jobs are going for over there).
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 pm
If I could find a shop that could replace the strip and repaint it professionally for even $300 (USD) I would do it. The insurance estimate is about $650. I haven’t visited any shops yet though.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 am
Your going to find that the amount of money the insurance gives you for a part is pretty much the retail price so your not likey going to get a part for much less.

Repair might save some money but as noted a rattle can (self) repair is low quality and will likely have fade/ship issues with time.

A shop repair might save some, maybe!

Other option, live with it. Wont be the last!

BTW, personally I would never make an insurance claim for something that low, in fact my deductible is $1000 so you must be paying some high rates assuming you had some minimal deductible. Any claim will usually come back on you as a higher premium. I assume I will only use my insurance for something major!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:22 pm
My insurance deductible is $200. I am with a carrier that allows only people with pretty much no accident or at fault claims, so the rate is quite low.

This is a no fault claim - not my fault - so there was no reason not to report it. Is not counted against me, and no increase in insurance rates. Insurance already mailed me a check for the full estimate minus the $200. This is only fair because whether I choose to repair it or not, technically, the car's value is depreciated by the amount of the damage. Insurance company leaves it up to me whether I wish to have it repaired or live with the depreciated value of the car due to the damage.

Anyway, today when I was driving the car I kept looking down at the trim every time I parked, and whether in a parking garage or outside in the sun, I could not see the scratches at all, I had to reach down there and feel all the way under the trim to even confirm that they are there. That someone who KNOWS the scratches are there and is looking for them can't even see them, I guess means that this isn't such a big deal.

But - in my mind - I don't like the fact that there are scratches down there. :knockout:

Still, yes, another option is to just live with it and perhaps have the trim replaced in the future, but again - the fact that the upper half of the trim, the entire visible portion, is still in perfect condition, is part of why I'd rather just repair underside, and leave the top half full factory. If it would be possible to repair it that way...just the scratches.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic