Small Fiberglass Repairs

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:54 pm
I have a hood from a '73 Javelin AMX. It has a steel frame with a fiberglass outer cover. It has a few small chips in a couple corners and at a couple places on the edges. I was going to just get something like a Bondo Glass type filler, clean all the loose peices and build it back out. Dies this sound like the right thing to do/ Seems awful small to try and use glass mat.
Thanks,
Ken In Orlando
20180121_222107[1].jpg
20180121_222130[1].jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:14 pm
Yeah, I think glass/filler type would be fine. I usually clean out areas like this with a dental pick which is kind of "springy." I use USC's Duraglas but anything that Evercoat makes is fine as well. I don't particularly care for Bondo brand products....just personal preference....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 am
Resin tooling, long shred ( or short) fiberglass strands, MEKP (1.5-2.5% by volume) never exceeding 2.5%

CAUTION: Resin tooling mixed with too much MEKP can cause a fire hazard.
(methyl ethyl ketone peroxide) is VERY volatile compound. store in fire safe cabinets and never exceed manufacturer specified temperature ranges. Flash of MEKP happens at 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Wear protective clothing and safety glasses. MEKP will permanently damage the eyeballs.

sand your repair area out with 180 or 320 grit. mix your resin tooling thoroughly.
I use a 1inch horse hair bristle brush. apply your resin tooling to the areas and tap into place with your horse hair brush. you will need to continue patting with the brush to make sure all air bubbles are released on the repair area or you will encounter voids when sanding.

I never personally use body fillers on fiberglass for repairs as it doesn't tend to hold up with the fiberglass. I will use body fillers only to fill small air voids, then a skim coat of resin tooling over top to trap the filler in the void.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic