Plastic

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 am
I'm painting several plastic pieces I've removed from a 2000 Honda Insight I'm painting. I've sanded everything with 220 and intend on painting with an epoxy primer followed by a single stage urethane. My question is: There are a few small spots on a couple pieces that I sanded through the paint and exposed the plastic.

Will I run into problems just putting the epoxy over the plastic, or should I use an adhesion promoter first. I was concerned about what product to use. I'm wondering if some rattle can product would not be compatible with the primer.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:51 pm
Sorry, didn't see this got tossed over into plastic land.... Yeah, I've used Bulldog ap for what you're doing there. You could probably get by without it as I've epoxied directly over various plastics over the years (as long as there well scuffed.)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm
bulldog is more of a "glue"

i would use a plastic adhesion promoter they work a little different than bulldog.

you could probably buy a plastic wipe from a jobber for cheap enough
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm
Yep, I'd agree the wipes (3M's at least) are better IF you have access to them. The base chemistry is very close except 3M adds 1/2 percent of clear epoxy resin in their wipes. My jobber won't break up packs of those anymore (sold in a box). He used to have a small individual rack pack on the counter.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic