Bumper damage

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 pm
Hi all,

I received some bumper damage on my car. Took it for some estimates and the lowest number I got for a spot repair was $350.00 CAD

Was wondering what it would take to repair the damage on my own. From what I've seen in videos, a compound is applied and is painted over. I figure the black paint would at least be easy to match. What does it take to repair it?

Thanks for help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 am
Well, I don't know if I would consider that a "spot repair." The idea with compounding the area is to determine just how damaged that clear coat is....and if the scraping has gotten down past the clear, color, and into the plastic. A lot of times these base plastic materials are black so it's hard to see just how deep the hit really is.... also I can't tell from the pic. but did your grill insert tear away some on the edge there??? Best advice?....I'd get a couple more quotes on this before doing anything with it....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 pm
I may clarify, the shop quoted me $350.00 to repair and paint the area of the damage, or $400.00 to repair and paint the whole bumper.

I receive another quote for over $600.00 which made me expect the previous quote was reasonable.

The paint is scraped off down to the bumper plastic, but the bumper itself is undamaged, the grill housing is intact, just a reflection make it look as it is detach.

Thank for your help, I would enjoy if you have any advice as to how I should approach the repair on my own.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 pm
Do you have much autobody experience? Do you have access to decent sized compressor, gun, etc? Repairs like this always look fairly simple but if you want professional results things add up pretty quickly....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 pm
Thanks for your help, looks like I'll probably be heading to the bodyshop.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am
747800 wrote:Thanks for your help, looks like I'll probably be heading to the bodyshop.

very wise. to get set up just get it so so, youre going to have to spend $450 to get started.
then theres the,"crap, i screwed up bad" factor.
followed by the ,"what went wrong?" thread.
followed by the,"i didnt realize there was this much involved in painting. i need a second job" comment.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic