Painting a Motorcycle

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 am
I've painted a car and some other stuff before, but really didn't know what I was doing, so I figured I'd ask the paint gurus for some advice on a new project. I'm building an OT motorcycle to be ridden strictly on the track. There's a good chance I'll be crashing it and therefore repainting it a couple times a year. I have fiberglass bodywork that is already in urethane primer. I'm scuffing it with 600 right now. I want to paint it three different colors (black, grey, and red) in a simple design. Solid colors - no metallics or anything fancy. Yea, I could just rattle can it, but where's the learning experience in that?

Given the info above, is it better to go single stage or base/clear? Which is easier to repair on the regular? What is a good economical brand of paint?

Here's the design I quickly whipped up in Photoshop:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 am
single stage solid colors will be easy to repair. if the red in the picture is what youll have for red, id do that in vinyl.
a good economical brand of paint- like asking whats a good car to buy. :happy:

personally id go to TCP global and use the restoration shop enamel. it's a pretty good paint at a reasonable price and will look great at 90mph- even scuffed up.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Pai ... tion-Shop/

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 am
Yeah, if it's going to get wacked a lot I'd go single stage as well. If you do that red in vinyl you might want to see what kind of deal a sign shop (online or local) could cut you for multiples of those in one of the lower grades of vinyl. Our local sign/print shop carries 3,5, and 7 year vinyl. You also might want to check with Chris that runs this site to see if he can get any type of single stage through his Tamco connection. If you end up going local PPG has their Shopline series which I'm not wild about for base/clear but again something single stage in primary colors like that should not be a problem.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic