Painting a Fiberglass Splitter

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 am
Hello Everyone,
I have a brand new painted/clearcoated splitter that I want to paint a different color. I am looking for advise on the first step, ie, do I rough up the clear coat, should I spray it with primer or adhesion promoter. Any advise is much appreciated!!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:55 pm
Adhesion promoter is used on raw plastic. How much paint is on it now? In other words, do you think that it has just the "one" paint job on it.... if so I would indeed just sand up the clear (320 to 400), seal (sealer, epoxy mixed for sealing, etc.), and move into your base/ clear. I am also assuming you are not needing any bodywork/surface filling on it?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm
Not sure about how many coats. It looks well done. No need for any repair/filler work that I see.
Forgive the ignorance, can you recommend a sealer in a rattle can that will do the job?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 pm
Nope, can't do that..... not a big believer in taking a cheap 1k rattle can product and thinking that will give a good foundation for new paint. You might look on the net for SprayMax products which are mostly 2k products. Can has the hardener separated inside the can which you release when you use it. You might also check with a local paint jobber and see if he can set you up with a canned product. So I am assuming no spray equipment either???
Maybe have someone else do this for you???.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic