What is best primer for fiberglass

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm
Hi, I have a 72/76 VW panelvan kombi with fiberglass highroof. The outside is painted with whatever used in 1972/76 in good condition, but i do want to repaint it due to stains, scratches etc.
The inside was painted with some enamel paint. It peeled off. So I sanded it all of completely to bare fiberglass. The final coat will be 2K
Suggestions on what is best Primer for the outside (painted) and the inside (raw) will be highly appreciated.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:24 pm
So South Africa right?..... Well, greetings and I have no idea "what" paint lines you have available to you. That being said the general idea would be to get any raw fiberglass sealed up with a 2k epoxy primer and then move on to a high build 2k sandable primer. Name some paint brands you would see typically in auto body supply shops and maybe I can look up some product sheets......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 am
Hi DarrelK
Brand names do cause confussion
I had to Google "bondo" not knowing what it is, (hahaha) coz Bondo is a brand name
We have lots of local brands, but also international brands available such as Spies Hecker, Standox etc.
Maybe this can help you .......

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 am
So I did a little research and it appears you have paint jobber store chains (jobber just means supplier) dotted around with the larger ones being in the big metro areas. What is your largest/nearest city or town?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am
I live in the provincial capital: Polokwane
The big top closest is 400km: Pretoria

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm
Okay, so my idea is this.... you should try to hook up with a good supplier. I found this one in Polokwane on a listing page.....
https://www.brabys.com/business/6088421 ... uto-paints
There is also another large supplier about 3 hours south of you if you wanted a larger selection of brands.....
http://www.autopaintcentre.co.za/
For what you are doing almost any budget line stuff would work fine..... I'm seeing Standox, Luxor, Plascon, etc. a lot through your area....

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm
well... if it was me finishing raw glass i would be using bondo and glaze over the sanded and shaped glass.

i would then coat with a polyester primer, sand 80/150 then probably polyester one more time then 150/220 then 2k primer and finish for paint
Last edited by PainterDave on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:22 am
You take a big chance putting bondo directly over "old" raw fiberglass. It's hard to tell if someone rattle canned it or if it's just picked up contaminates like the old Armor All or other cleaner/polishes which tend to soak in. Friend of mine did that (bondo on raw glass) with an old Cobra body on the inside of his trunk lid so he could do some art work. Stuff started peeling within a few weeks. Went back got it all off, sanded, did epoxy barrier coat THEN moved into bondo, etc., no problems for 5 years now......

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:34 am
talking raw fiberglass what i am meaning is the resin, not actual strands

if the OP has sanded down to the resin there is no reason a nice skim of mud to smooth things out wont work,

i see no benefit of using epoxy first.

perhaps poster got some photos ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 pm
Yeah, some pic.s would help, Dave is right, smooth resinous surface is much different than strands sticking up though.....
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic