Filling Warped Fender Flares (With pics)

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 pm
An option to consider would be to paint the flares body color instead of black. That would lower the temperature of the fiberglass considerably.

The downside is that it changes the look of the vehicle and might not be factory correct.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:19 am
Yeah, I'd agree with that.....just wasn't sure you would go for that considering the look. I am assuming the originals were a cast through color...... Doing them in that light body color instead of the black could drop surface temp.s by 30 degrees or so.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Qatar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:24 am
The new Generation G's have color coded fender flares (plastic)... back in the day they were made of rubber (like the rub rail on a speed boat) that matched the rubber rails down the side of the truck.

The black head light surrounds, bumper and grill, mirror brackets, fender flares and rub rails are unfortunately a big part of the cars classic and hard-core look, as the rest of the body shell did not change for over 40 years.

I think I am going to risk it with the black and just try to keep it under cover when its not being driven... or let it camp out through the 3 summer months.

Original (W460 Model)
Mercedes_G_002.jpg

New Gen (W463 Model)
5962039174_481d07c0ae_b.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:17 am
I would agree with you about that "classic" look. These always looked like they were really ready for off road. Sure, trying to get it out of direct sun would go along way to reducing distortion/movement.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 pm
I have a Ranger with fiberglass bedsides, painted factory black. It has seen 15 summers of temps 95* or more, and the fiberglass hasn't weathered or distorted at all.

Fiberglass is much better than the rubber or plastic flares the G came with, so if you do a good job in getting them straight I think they'll do fine.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic