Sunshine on fiberglass panels

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:44 pm
Craigorypeck wrote:...And yes there's enough paint on there to paint 3 cars.. First and second attempts didn't go well!!
I'm for blocking it flat and trying again..

Hah! don't worry about it at all! You should see how much materials I use painting one small motorcycle paint and then one trunk lid! Not a complete car, just the trunk lid - BTW I'm not done with the trunk lid yet!!

Car looks great in the photos, is that a old Capri?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 am
Surely a clear over ss will look a tad different to the rest of the car??
I was having major issues with applying the ss after any sort of sanding or pre work etc.. Fish eyes everywhere ...blah blah..
I ended up using a reduced epoxy to seal it.. Then not even touch it and shoot the SS on.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 am
OldFatBald wrote:
Craigorypeck wrote:...And yes there's enough paint on there to paint 3 cars.. First and second attempts didn't go well!!
I'm for blocking it flat and trying again..

Hah! don't worry about it at all! You should see how much materials I use painting one small motorcycle paint and then one trunk lid! Not a complete car, just the trunk lid - BTW I'm not done with the trunk lid yet!!

Car looks great in the photos, is that a old Capri?

Yes. Mk1 Capri. Not many here in Canada.

I built a twincharged engine for it too..

Last edited by Craigorypeck on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:27 am
PainterDave wrote:same process block with 500/800 reshoot it

caution as the paint will flow over that 500/800

2 tack coats and a nice wet one

Thanks. Game plan noted

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 am
Nice ride. Just some thoughts on "why" this got a little out of hand for you.... I would guess that maybe those parts originally didn't have a very built up gel coat on them. If it was regular gel coat (not one of the sandable high build ones) they just may have not built enough thickness in the mold before starting their matt process. With your entire paint package shrinking back like this in the sun that would allow the "highlights" of the underlying fibers to show.
You should be able to get it back, worse case, you might have to take it all off, finger crossed to avoid that of course......
Hey, just curious, how do you have your boost sequenced on this? I am assuming supercharger coming lower in the rpms with turbo kicking in higher in the range?......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm
These fenders were so sh1t that the gelcoat is gone in a lot of areas. Months of evenings spent trying to make them the right shape and half decent looking. Some areas have fine strand glass applied to the inside then I've actually cut through the original glass to get the desired shape.
That's the problem then.... Will my current paint act as the gelcoat that's missing and just apply more paint on top or what?
It all looked so good before it got hot!

I'm blowing the turbo into the supercharger.. Both adders work together at the same time all the time.. Compounding the boost from the turbo beyond the back pressure it creates. Got a nice pressure differential across the engine. Pushing 30psi boost now.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:12 pm
Well, that explains it all then. Gel coat or at least some type of barrier veil are always needed "over" the underlying chopped glass. Without it your paint (as you can see) will simply try to follow the contours of that fiber pattern.

Really just not sure about what can happen from here.....If the lower layers have quit gassing and are stabilized you might be okay with what Dave said there.....worth a shot anyway..... and if it doesn't work you need to take it all down to near the raw fiberglass and get some sprayable gel coat or a fiberglass surfacer/barrier on there before beginning to paint again.

So that's how you are doing it......Man, that is a crap load of boost on that little 4. Any idea what h.p. you've got at the rear wheels? I run about 8 psi boost on my 3800 SC and I'm at 275 at the wheels. You've got to be making some crazy power with that.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:31 am
Yeah ill give it a flat and some more..

Powerwise I'm not sure. Guessing modestly at 300hp, it goes like nothing ive ever driven before.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:39 am
Furniture physicians in your sig?? Maybe you can help me?
I get bored quickly, the Capri was my first attempt at building a car.. Box ticked.
I'm trying to build drums now. Whats best..? Tung oil, shellac, lacquer, polyurethane varnish... So many choices for wood..

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 am
Actually I have a great deal of information on the resonant characteristics of wood concerning different types of instruments and their coatings. Let me look up some stuff when I get back off the road later today and I'll send you a Private Message so we don't clutter up this forum.
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic