Does fiberglass hair filler and plastic bond?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm
So this is probably a common question asked, Does fiberglass hair filler and plastic bond? I`ve heard it does and it doesn't, so which is it? I'm leave it up to you guys. I haven't done much body work with plastic so this is why i need your help. Trying to fill a section on a plastic hatch to clean it up a bit, going for the shaved booty look.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 3167 times

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm
No, it does not bond. I mean guys profile the crap of areas with 40 or 80 grit slam it in there and it can hold for awhile but there is no "melting in" of the bond and the two materials have very different rates of expansion/contraction which when combined with vibration/use breaks that adhesion. Always the best way of filling areas like that is via plastic welding and using the appropriate plastic rod as the filler material. After that a good flexible plastic bondo type filler is used over top for final smoothing. USC makes Pro-Flex which good for that.
It would probably help you to go to Polyvance's web site. Here is a general repair chart for plastics. I know that you are not doing a repair but the rules/principles apply.....
https://www.polyvance.com/identify.php
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:07 am
DarrelK wrote:No, it does not bond. I mean guys profile the crap of areas with 40 or 80 grit slam it in there and it can hold for awhile but there is no "melting in" of the bond and the two materials have very different rates of expansion/contraction which when combined with vibration/use breaks that adhesion. Always the best way of filling areas like that is via plastic welding and using the appropriate plastic rod as the filler material. After that a good flexible plastic bondo type filler is used over top for final smoothing. USC makes Pro-Flex which good for that.
It would probably help you to go to Polyvance's web site. Here is a general repair chart for plastics. I know that you are not doing a repair but the rules/principles apply.....
https://www.polyvance.com/identify.php

Thanks DarrelK for the reply. Is there any plastic welding tool you would recommend for the job? They start around $15 and go into the $1,000

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:35 pm
Well, yeah, there is, don't hate me but Horrible Fright actually has a pretty decent plastic welder and they sell plastic rod packs. Here is the link......
https://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-w ... 96712.html
With plastic welding it is all about making sure your plastics match and you have chosen the right rod. The best source for plastic is going to the pick and pull and getting old bumper covers or even one from a car like you have. That way you know you have the right plastic. The old bumper cover also lets you practice your technique as well.
I've probably done over a dozen or so different projects with plastic welding. From a simple propane torch heated scraper to a buddies $600 unit they all work.....just have to perfect your technique.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:12 pm
DarrelK wrote:Well, yeah, there is, don't hate me but Horrible Fright actually has a pretty decent plastic welder and they sell plastic rod packs. Here is the link......
https://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-w ... 96712.html
With plastic welding it is all about making sure your plastics match and you have chosen the right rod. The best source for plastic is going to the pick and pull and getting old bumper covers or even one from a car like you have. That way you know you have the right plastic. The old bumper cover also lets you practice your technique as well.
I've probably done over a dozen or so different projects with plastic welding. From a simple propane torch heated scraper to a buddies $600 unit they all work.....just have to perfect your technique.......

PM sent

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic