Motorcycle Fairings and FeatherFill G2?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:08 pm
This may be a stupid question... but I am going to ask it anyway. I have a motorcycle I am looking to repaint, and I am wondering if I can use some of the supplies I already have to do so. On the plastic fairings, can I use Featherfill G2 as my filler primer to do some sanding? I have a quart left over from painting my car is the only reason I am looking to do this. My initial thought is that it would be too brittle on the plastic. Can a primer like this be used with a flex additive? I didn't see anything in the tech sheet about this.

Otherwise I am thinking the next best choice will be an epoxy primer like ********** or Tamco sells. These seem to be sandable, and are already white, so I can spray my base coat directly over them.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 am
This is not a stupid question......First, I am not a motorcycle guy but plastics are plastics. It has always been my opinion/experience that any work done to pieces with this much flex need to keep the overall mil/film build down. The epoxies sealers you have mentioned are the way to go. They are strong and flexible. If you think you "need" to do some repair work use something like this.... https://www.polyvance.com/Repair-Broken-Fairing/ You could then cream out over top of that with something like USC's Pro-Flex as long as you keep it thin and then epoxy. Both of the epoxies you referred to would be fine. I've used the unmentionable one but not Tamco's yet. Every Tamco product I've tried so far has really worked well for me and the other guys here......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic