is this bumper fixable?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 pm
my nieces '15 compass got "bruised" and doesnt qualify for insurance coverage. left front bumper. havent ever welded plastic but not afraid to try it if i have a little guidance. or if there is an adhesive maybe that would work maybe?
Attachments
compass (3).JPG
compass (2).JPG
compass (1).JPG

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm
Easy. No need to weld, use a bumper repair compound like Terokal 9225.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 am
i assume something like lord fusor 142/143 is comparable? not seeing
https://www.lord.com/products-and-solut ... %28fast%29

this is some pretty pricey stuff. im wondering if i could find something in a smaller quantity not only for price but i can see what i dont use sitting on a shelf for a very long time- along with the gun. plus i i think my niece is one who will spend big bucks for the repair- one reason uncle tom is doing it. :happy:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 am
Plasti-Fix is some pretty good stuff designed for a variety of plastic materials. Here is a link.... https://www.polyvance.com/PlastiFix-Kits-1/2503/ Yes, the stuff is expensive but you do not need a special applicator for it. That is a black kit listed there however it does come in white and clear. I think I did see a kit over on Ebay the other day which was $40 but included shipping. While you are over at Polyvance check out their learning center for more tips on application and they also are building quite a video library on application.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm
thanks darrell. looks like what i'll get. think i better read up a bit on it first.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 pm
I've done several plastics over the years with it and it is very consistent to work with....The guys at Polyvance are pretty good as well. Lots of tech. at that site and they are good on the phone as well.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 pm
DarrelK wrote:I've done several plastics over the years with it and it is very consistent to work with....The guys at Polyvance are pretty good as well. Lots of tech. at that site and they are good on the phone as well.

thanks again,darrell. i should be getting on this saturday- depending on if it shows up by friday. theres definately some great tech at that site and this will give me some time to read and re read.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 pm
That can 100% be repaired with a plastic welder, Check out my youtube video where I fix a cracked plastic rocker panel with a few tools off ebay in my garage. Skip to 4 minutes into the video for the plastic repair. I hope this Helps
heres the link:
https://youtu.be/Vvo7_iyMioc

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic