First Project Questions/Ideas

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 pm
DarrelK wrote:You might want to also jump over on to our Tools/Supplies section with questions about gun recommendations. Not saying the Eastwood guns are a problem but you could do better and cheaper.......

Will do, thanks. I also have a mutual friend that has a legit painting booth at his house and offered to let me use it but he recently went through surgery and don't want to bother him for a while so in the future when I have larger projects that will be my go to but for now. I will do what I can with what is available to me.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am
Yeah, you'll be fine. You've obviously got a lot of resources which means more opportunities to get things right. You might spend some time looking around for a good paint jobber while you are getting organized. I was lucky enough about 30 years or so ago to hook up with a good local supplier. One particular counter person there was a former shooter themselves so it really launched me into this "hobby."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am
I have looked around a little bit, talked to a few different guys but I just haven't found the right person yet I guess. I live in pretty rural Nebraska so it's not like there are a lot of people in the area that do it, and the ones that do fortunately enough for them stay very busy. I just would like to take on projects every couple months, something to do in the evenings and on the weekends that can make a little extra cash and have some fun. My garage is a 2 car with just my tools and a few random things in there so more than enough room to get a full car and mess with. Like I said though the weather has been pretty **** the last couple months so I just haven't been getting to excited about being in my non-insulated, non-heated, and frankly rough garage haha.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:53 pm
DarrelK wrote:...You might want to also jump over on to our Tools/Supplies section with questions about gun recommendations. Not saying the Eastwood guns are a problem but you could do better and cheaper.......

Agreed, Eastwood has a nice website and their online videos are nice introductions to various "how tos" but are not meant to be a full course of how to become a pro.

Anyways, I used to buy a lot of stuff from them as I didn't know where else to go. But there are plenty of good online resources for materials and tools if you cant find a good local jobber - I had one, then the shop got bought by one of the big boy companies and fired everyone in my little town's shop.

When looking for a gun, don't get an HVLP, get a "conventional" air cap. For the Devilbiss Finish Line FLG-4 gun the conventional air cap is the #1 ($40) while the HVLP is the #3. For the Sagola 4600s, it would be the "Clear" cap instead of the "HVLP" cap. I don't know about the other brands, but ask around. The FLG-4 is a good start with the #1 cap, then you can go ahead and get addicted, then use it for Sealers, Flakes etc and start dumping moneys into some of the high end guns!!! But honestly, I have found that there is a difference in guns. I couldn't believe the difference the first time that I shot clear out of a Sagola 4600.

One more thing, get at least a painter's jacket (such as a Devilbiss on Amazon has them) I shoot in the Pig Barn and what a difference in the amount of trash that comes off just a t-shirt.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm
OldFatBald wrote:When looking for a gun, don't get an HVLP, get a "conventional" air cap. For the Devilbiss Finish Line FLG-4 gun the conventional air cap is the #1 ($40) while the HVLP is the #3. For the Sagola 4600s, it would be the "Clear" cap instead of the "HVLP" cap. I don't know about the other brands, but ask around. The FLG-4 is a good start with the #1 cap, then you can go ahead and get addicted, then use it for Sealers, Flakes etc and start dumping moneys into some of the high end guns!!! But honestly, I have found that there is a difference in guns. I couldn't believe the difference the first time that I shot clear out of a Sagola 4600.

One more thing, get at least a painter's jacket (such as a Devilbiss on Amazon has them) I shoot in the Pig Barn and what a difference in the amount of trash that comes off just a t-shirt.

Thank you for the information! After more research the FLG-4 was actually what I was looking at getting into, I will get a conventional cap with it as well. I planned on spending a day or so painting the plastics that I am replacing to practice anyways because I figure I can ruin them and not really be out of anything except the time and materials which will be well spent to prepare myself for the "real deal". Hopefully get rid of some jitters and be a little more comfortable with the gun in my hand. Also planned on getting a painters jacket anyways. I am not afraid to get dirty working but don't generally like to get dirty unnecessarily. Thanks again.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:54 pm
DarrelK wrote:Okay, yeah, I went ahead and looked up your plastic. Looks like it is marked >PP< which indicates polypropylene. That type of plastic is almost always best welded.
[/b]

@DerrelK Also after looking at the plasics I have here they are marked >ABS+PA-GF20< I was a little concerned with the Plastifix after reading that it would NOT work with PP I wanted to see if you had some more insight on what this plastic composition looks like most just make sure it will bond and work correctly with the Plastifix without issue.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 pm
Well, obviously there are a lot of these same parts out there with different material designations. And no, that is correct Plastifix doesn't work on PP (too many plastics in my head). As for what you've got ABS is like the old trademarked Cycolac which they made football helmets out of when I was a kid. PA is a nylon and for the GF-20 I got nothing..... Here is the plastics ID page I use.... https://www.polyvance.com/identify.php Might be worth a call directly to Polyvance for some help on what you've got and the best path for a good repair.... 800 633 3047
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic