New Bumper and Primer?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am
Ive been getting supplies and parts ready to repaint my 04 Mustang soon.

So one of the items I needed to replace was the front bumper cover because for some reason on the right side a few on the mounting points are cracked.

But my question is the new bumper cover I ordered came already primed.
Is this primer good to go or should it be stripped and primed with what I will be using for the rest of the car? Also this was not a original Ford item, its aftermarket but looks to fit very nice.

Im just not sure of the quality used on these or if I do use the already primed if Im going to regret down the road.

Anyone with experience know?

Thanks,
Mark

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm
This has been covered many times, but see my post here.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm
Mark, you seem concerned about the quality of the factory prime coat.... There is some cheaper Chinese/Viet Namese parts that can have simple solvent based primers on them. If you have some lacquer thinner handy, just try and "smear" the coat on the inside of the part and see if it comes up in the rag. If it doesn't.... it's fine to work over....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:11 pm
Thanks for the info.

Sorry if im asking a question that gets covered often. Im new around here so it wasnt something I was aware of. Asking is better than being sorry later.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 am
No problem....parts suppliers are pretty varied now. Bottom line is you can't always count on the quality of what's on them. Kid in my old neighborhood was fixing up his daily "beater" and picked up a "new" bumper cover from a local internet site. Kid was smart enough to let me see it before beginning on it....lacquer thinner wiped the "primer" right off to raw plastic with one swipe.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 am
Gave it the wipe with lacquer towel, one swipe turned white cloth black.

So I figured it was some cheap primer on it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Yep, that's crap....sand it all off.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic