SPIDER STRESS PAINT CRACK HELP!!!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:51 pm
hello all,

what is the best way to repair this? should i completely sandoff the damaged area and repaint?
Attachments
IMG_1094.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 pm
you need to remove it all down to the bumper material. SEMS use to make a bumper stripper that works reasonably good. you want to be careful with aggressive sanding paper on the plastic.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:34 am
Thanks Jay,

So I’m completely new at this....

I will use the plastic paint stripper in the affected area and tape off the surrounding. As per your response, The stripper will strip to bare plastic thus no sanding necessary correct?

Will I need to use body filler before I repaint? All videos that I’ve watched body filler is always used. I have already purchased primer, base color, guide coat, plastic adhesive enhancer etc..

How should I approach the repainting process after the stripper? Thanks in advance to any responses

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:58 am
Paint stripper really is a bit of overkill, unnecessary in this case. Just sand off the paint wherever it is cracked. Don't use coarser then P180 and you won't damage the plastic too much. Finish off with P240-P320, prime and paint.

Body filler is only necessary if there's something to fill. If there are no dents or huge scratches then just sanding off the damaged paint will do fine.

Of course that is a bit simplistic but have a look through the forum - there are specific threads for procedures, usually stickied at the top of the forum listing.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:27 am
NFT5 wrote:Paint stripper really is a bit of overkill, unnecessary in this case. Just sand off the paint wherever it is cracked. Don't use coarser then P180 and you won't damage the plastic too much. Finish off with P240-P320, prime and paint.

Body filler is only necessary if there's something to fill. If there are no dents or huge scratches then just sanding off the damaged paint will do fine.

Of course that is a bit simplistic but have a look through the forum - there are specific threads for procedures, usually stickied at the top of the forum listing.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am
NFT5 wrote:Paint stripper really is a bit of overkill, unnecessary in this case. Just sand off the paint wherever it is cracked. Don't use coarser then P180 and you won't damage the plastic too much. Finish off with P240-P320, prime and paint.

i will second that advice
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic