Bumper mounting area cracked

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Hi all, this is my first post. I just recently purchased a 2006 Acura RSX Type S and noticed that the prior owner had some very cheap work done to keep the front bumper in place. The bumper corner, I don't know if that's the correct name, but on both the ends of the passenger and driver sides were held in place with clear silicone. It also appears that some type of material was melted together but broke apart, so now the bumper doesn't stay in place. There's a piece still screwed into the fender. When I removed the bumper and cleaned the silicone to replace the fog light bulbs this is what I found. Any insight on what materials I would need, or how I can do it? Finding an genuine OEM replacement front bumper is hard to find used and in good condition. I also want to stay away from aftermarket replacements. I'll be more than happy to try my hand at repairing this original bumper.
Attachments
IMG_7357.JPG
IMG_7358.JPG
IMG_7359.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 pm
Modern bumper covers are like tissue paper. When they get hit almost all the mounts rip through. Not only are your mounting surface ripped up on that but look at all the stress cracks in the paint surface on that part..... If you are just set on not buying aftermarket consider going through some used part databases..... try www.car-parts.com
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic