How do I fix my Camry's front bumper?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm
NFT5,

Hi again. Just discovered you're in Australia when you commented about the differences in labor rates (I looked up your profile). I love Australian films.

I admire your skill in this matter.

But if you don't mind, what do you mean when you state, "the narrow bar" and "the bottom bar"?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 am
Have to love Australian movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJtaO2xB_o

The front of your car looks like this:
camry_cnr.jpg

Mask where I've drawn the red lines and the light. For the light use short pieces of tape and slide the side of the tape into the joint a little. Much easier and more effective than trying to use one continuous length.

Backmask where I've drawn the blue line, i.e. stick half the tape on to the flange around the wheel arch, leaving the other half, sticky side up sticking out. Use this to attach your masking paper/plastic.

By "bottom" or "narrow" bar I mean the thin painted section under the grille. After the repair is done keep primer to just the repair area then extend base or colour coat to where I've put the green line. Then extend clear to the yellow line, gradually fading it out. Lightly mist the fade out area with blending thinners and you should not be able to see the join. This only works on narrow sections - almost impossible to do on wider sections or mid-panel.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am
NFT5,

The photo in your previous post was very helpful. Thanks.

But I think the instructions you included were only for painting.

I will still need to remove the bumper and the light, then use a heat gun, then bang the bumper from the inside out. Right? My concern, before worrying about the painting, was how to remove the light and bumper.

In terms of Australian films, funny enough I've never watched the Crocodile Dundee ones. The ones I've seen and loved are the following:

Breaker Morant
Picnic at Hanging Rock
We of the Never Never
The Last Days of Chez Nous
My Brilliant Career
Rabbit Proof Fence
Flirting
Strictly Ballroom
Muriel's Wedding
Gallipoli
Dish

A visiting Aussie, whom I ran into recently, recommended I see Lantana but haven't yet had the chance.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 pm
NFT5,

I have been doing my own research on your suggestions. Today I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGIS-lFAZM

It was very useful and encouraging!

My question: If I was to use a heat gun like the guy in the video, do I need to remove the light? Also, is there room under and behind the bumper to simply punch or push the dent out with my hand?

But my main concern is the fact that I don't have access to an electrical outlet since I have street parking. A heat gun is going to need an outlet, unless I buy a battery one, as you recommended in one of your posts.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 pm
Removing a front bar on most Japanese or Korean cars isn't that hard.

There are usually clips and screws across the top and bottom (underneath). Most have a screw holding the top back corner to the guard and clips or screws inside the wheel arch. The joint between guard and bar clips in (lift a bit and pull straight out, don't bend) and there are retainers under the headlights. Insurance times for R&R are typically around 15 minutes but if you're unfamiliar with the process, allow an hour.

Grilles and foglights/DRLs attach with screws to the rear of the bar.

When you heat the plastic to push out the dent you don't want to "hammer" it. Rather just gently work it out. I use a heat gun set at 350C but that is very hot - recommend you run at around 220C which is much safer until you get some experience. You don't want to turn it into a molten mess. Heat gently but evenly including the area around the outside of the dent. As the plastic starts to soften work from the outside in - don't be tempted to just give it a big push in the middle.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am
NFT5,

Thanks for your post.

Yesterday I tried reaching behind the dent but it's impossible. I have to remove the bumper. There's no way around this.

So my next move is to research how to remove a front bumper on a 2016 Camry, which is why your post is a good first learning step for me.

At least one advantage to removing the bumper is that I can take it home and use an electric heat gun.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am
stripedbass wrote:NFT5,

So my next move is to research how to remove a front bumper on a 2016 Camry, which is why your post is a good first learning step for me.

if like most, its not a bad job but can be a bit time consuming.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 pm
Everyone is making it sound more complicated than it has to be. Trust me if i can do it, you can to. Since most likely you wont be able remove the fog light without taking the bumper off, there is no need to disassemble the bumper. You do need to get access behind the bumper so you can heat the damaged area and the push it out from behind. Youll most likely have to take the bumper off to access the back, although If you remove the fender liner it’s possible that you’d be able to get to it. I’d try that first. If you heat from the rear you can get it pretty hot without causing issues, once up to temp it will be very easy to pop/rub out. Push it out, then find something solid and round to rub it out. If its cracked check out my youtube vidoe where you'll see how I repaired a cracked plastic body panel. Skip to 4 minutes in to see the plastic repair and paint. hope this helps

My youtube video where i do PLASTIC REPAIR on a destroyed rocker panel (skip to 4 min in), and buff my HIGH QUALITY GARAGE PAINT JOB! ENJOY
https://youtu.be/Vvo7_iyMioc
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic