Fiberglass over quarters need help.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am
Hi guys need some help on a body kit install. I am putting a wide body kit on a Mazda rx7, anyways the oem metal arches are cut out to fit bigger tires since it has a gm ls3 in it. What I want to know is the proper way to make sure that I don’t have any issues with rust and weather or not I should build another lip on oem quarter panel that meets up to the fiberglass panel so that I can put panel bonding adhesive and make it very strong. I started making a new lip just so you guys can see what I mean.
Thanks Richard

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 am
I don't see anything, so it looks ok to me.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:44 pm
for some reason the pics didn’t show last night anyways here is a link with the pictures. https://imgur.com/a/opEK5hN

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 pm
looks like it might be alright how about a few outside pics with the fiberglass hanging on. one thing you should remember most of the adhesives needs to be applied to clean bare metal. I was going to do a 280Z with the can-am style flairs they are a full rear and front fender style. anyway something else go in the way and I never did it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm
badsix wrote:looks like it might be alright how about a few outside pics with the fiberglass hanging on. one thing you should remember most of the adhesives needs to be applied to clean bare metal. I was going to do a 280Z with the can-am style flairs they are a full rear and front fender style. anyway something else go in the way and I never did it.
Jay D.

Thanks for your time, here is some more pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/tnIkFPN

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 am
Track car or street car?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am
DarrelK wrote:Track car or street car?

Mostly street with occasional track use.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 pm
Yeah, you could do that....I might consider using an epoxy resin for the bonding and anytime you would normally be using fiberglass resins. I just asked about the track/street thing because of additional flexing and stone hits on the track. If you are not doing a steady "diet" of track work you'd probably be ok.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:22 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, you could do that....I might consider using an epoxy resin for the bonding and anytime you would normally be using fiberglass resins. I just asked about the track/street thing because of additional flexing and stone hits on the track. If you are not doing a steady "diet" of track work you'd probably be ok.

Hi I have 3m panel bonding adhesive that bonds plastics, fiberglass, and metal to each other.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm
If that's what you have, sure go with it.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic