Repaint bad bumper paint job

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Last year I bought a new bumper and had someone paint it. After a few months the pain started cracking and pealing. Does it just need to be re sanded primed and painted? Do I need to resand the whole bumper or just the spots?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KXZUYJEKZMhLSgkH9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Awj2fCybJKFzM6yv5

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:06 pm
my own greenhorn opinion:
sand/strip everything off the whole bumper and start from scratch. the pros will be along to explain why while i sit back with a brain fart on how to explain that.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:25 pm
tomsteve wrote:my own greenhorn opinion:
sand/strip everything off the whole bumper and start from scratch. the pros will be along to explain why while i sit back with a brain fart on how to explain that.

Ok if anyone can tell me what grit and adhesive to start and finish with

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:33 am
Being plastic you're limited to P180. Any coarser than that and you'll tear up the surface too much and have it look like sandpaper once primed.

There are paint strippers out there that are designed for use on plastics. Most don't work very well. Can't really help with brands - what we have here is different to what is available over there.

Regardless of how you get that paint off you'll need to finish the surface with P320-P400 before using either a two pack primer designed for plastic adhesion (I use Cromax 907R + 915R which does not need sanding) or an adhesion promoter followed by primer. Sand that back to P800 then apply base and clear.

Why not just take it back to the mob that painted it and tell them it failed and you want it re-done, properly.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:54 am
Thank you guys for your answers does anyone know exactly why this paint is coming off or what step was done wrong

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm
It's hard to say for sure but one way to tell is to see if the paint and primer are coming off all the way to bare plastic or if just the paint is peeling off from the primer.

If you see bare plastic, then they probably didn't use adhesion promoter. If the primer is still firmly adhered to the plastic, then it was something the painter did in his prep or painting process.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 pm
Just looking at "where" that is mostly happening....any chance you may have "crunched" into something. I was setting in a parking place one day and the lady pulled up and literally crunched the lower 4 inches of her under nose/bumper right over the parking block. She jumped out of her car and ran into the store before I could even point it out to her......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic