How to Paint Prep for Fiberglass Lip Fender Flare?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:58 am
I have a pair of NISMO style fender flares for the rear and I want to paint them black to match the color of my car. However, searching for a paint prep guide for a small fiberglass body part has been frustrating. So any help would be great! from what grit sandpaper, wet or dry, scotchbrite pad? what primer to use? how can I attach it to the metal fender?

Some images of the flare

Attachments
fenderflare.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am
they look real smooth I would lightly sand wet with 600 - 800 this is just to remove any nibs or imperfections. finish with a scotch bright and some comet cleaner, wash good. for paint a good sealer first then your black. as for attachment, it all depends on how if fits up to the body. I have used double sided tape you can get it in different thickness's.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:04 pm
badsix wrote:they look real smooth I would lightly sand wet with 600 - 800 this is just to remove any nibs or imperfections. finish with a scotch bright and some comet cleaner, wash good. for paint a good sealer first then your black. as for attachment, it all depends on how if fits up to the body. I have used double sided tape you can get it in different thickness's.
Jay D.

That’s what I was thinking. I picked up an adhesion promoter & w high build primer surfacer and a 2K clear coat

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic