Polyurethane bumpers, need advise

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:23 pm
I saw in a video a while back where a guy said to never use wax and grease remover on a bare polyurethane bumper and to instead use alcohol. I haven’t found anything online to support this. W&g remover is fine right?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:13 am
Have a read of my post in this thread.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 am
Ok so definitely don’t on aftermarket pieces. What do you recommend I use to be safe? Alcohol?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:30 am
You can make a simple 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water (I prefer distilled water) or you can go to a local paint jobber and buy a "water based" cleaner. Water based cleaner will be usually that same alcohol/water mix along with several other minor ingredients that help with insuring the plastic is clean. Some even have a D-stat in them that helps with static electricity. Depending on the plastic you'd be might be surprised how much dust is "sucked" on to plastic surfaces as you rub them.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am
I already have alcohol and distilled water on hand so I’ll run with that

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 pm
Billgluckman wrote:Ok so definitely don’t on aftermarket pieces. What do you recommend I use to be safe? Alcohol?

Wash well with detergent and hot water. Dry and sit in hot sun for an hour or two then treat with the alcohol/water mix - spray on, wipe off with very clean cloth. Repeat and finish with a final wash. Tack and blow before paint.

Note: the "blow" bit is important since just a tack cloth can create static charge which will attract more dust; blowing with compressed air dissipates this charge.

If you don't have hot sun then heat up as much as you can. This opens the pores in the plastic and allows impurities to come up to the surface where the cleaning process can get to them.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 am
Will do. Thanks again.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic