Stop hairline crack growing in bumper paint?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 am
Hello, wondering if anyone might know of a good way to stop these two hairline cracks in my bumper paint from growing? Does someone make an adhesive of some kind that I can use to seal the crack and keep it from getting worse? It's barely visible but I don't want it to get worse and chip. Not sure how it happened. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_1619.jpeg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 am
The bumper may have been damaged previously and a quick repair made to cover it up.
Changed a headlamp for a lady and her bumper had to come off. I noticed a hairline crack in the paint on the passenger's side just below the headlight. Turned out the bumper was cracked completely through and filler applied to cover it up and painted over.
She bought the car used from a dealer and no doubt this was one of those "make it look good enough to sell it repairs."

The other possibility is the bumper was pushed in and flexed back out in that spot. Those are stress points for sure.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:42 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:The bumper may have been damaged previously and a quick repair made to cover it up.
Changed a headlamp for a lady and her bumper had to come off. I noticed a hairline crack in the paint on the passenger's side just below the headlight. Turned out the bumper was cracked completely through and filler applied to cover it up and painted over.
She bought the car used from a dealer and no doubt this was one of those "make it look good enough to sell it repairs."

The other possibility is the bumper was pushed in and flexed back out in that spot. Those are stress points for sure.

Yeah the dealer I bought the car from is shady so I'm pretty sure it was covered up when I bought it. Any ideas how I might stop the crack from getting worse? Like some sort of adhesive or something?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:37 am
It can be repaired but it is an involved process.
I'll move this post to the Fiberglass and Plastic forum, there you will find all kinds of information about repairing these bumpers.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic