Going to attempt to paint my bumper

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:07 pm
I bought a new bumper few years ago I had somebody paint it and it came out like crap.
Anyway I'm going to attempt to paint to myself, is this a good place to post updates of where I'm at and have someone kind of guide me through what is next step-by-step?

It's a aftermarket bumper I'm pretty sure it's polyurethane but I'm basically going to take it off my car and start from scratch and I'm going to go to the body shop and have them put the paint in a can for me to use. So I'm basically going to prime paint and clear it with cans from the body shop. Do you guys think it will come out decent if I do a good job? It's just a black color on a '03 G35

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 am
So why a body shop?
Buy your paint at the auto paint store like most do.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:09 am
That's what I meant to say up auto paint supply. The first thing I plan to do is take the bumper off the car and clean it with dish soap and a scotch pad.
Then clean off all the residue with acetone.
After that I have one of those power sanders but it's not the round one it's the triangle one is that okay to sand it down?
I'm planning on starting with 120 to get all the old stuff out what do you guys think? I need a little guidance here if you guys don't mind

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:20 am
Triangle one? Do you mean one of those little detail sanders? You'd be on it for a month with one of those. And P120 is too coarse - you'll just rip up the surface of the plastic and make it really difficult to get it smooth again. P180 is much better and a 6" sander is the go, 5" if you really have to.

Maybe we should start at the beginning. What is the actual problem? Why do you think it looks like crap? Maybe post up some pictures so that we have some idea of what you're trying to correct and can then offer advice that is relevant to your needs.

Are you planning to do this with a spray gun?
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:58 am
Do NOT use acetone or lacquer thinner on it.
It can soften the paint and remain deep in there.
Most times you can get away with it but it can come back on you.
Believe me, I learned that the hard way.
Dawn dish soap is all you need for cleaning, it's even far
better than wax and grease remover because it rinses everything away
instead of smearing it around like W&G remover does.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pm
NFT5 wrote:Triangle one? Do you mean one of those little detail sanders? You'd be on it for a month with one of those. And P120 is too coarse - you'll just rip up the surface of the plastic and make it really difficult to get it smooth again. P180 is much better and a 6" sander is the go, 5" if you really have to.

Maybe we should start at the beginning. What is the actual problem? Why do you think it looks like crap? Maybe post up some pictures so that we have some idea of what you're trying to correct and can then offer advice that is relevant to your needs.

Are you planning to do this with a spray gun?

Okay so here's a few pictures of the bumper. That is the only sander i have and I also have the sandpaper for it that's made for it.

Besides that I'm open to all suggestions and directions with your guys help I know I could get this done. My plan is to redo this job and I don't have a air compressor so I'll be using paint put in a spray can from a auto supply store here are a few pictures of the bumper.
https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y4 ... ytbcun.jpg

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y4 ... hrrtnj.jpg

It actually looks worse in person because there's cracks all in the paint and it's peeling off in a lot of different spots.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:39 pm
Fair enough, that bar is very badly chipped - looks like an application issue.

It certainly does need respraying, but......................in order to avoid recurrence of the problem, it needs to be done with two pack products. Spray cans just won't work for a number of reasons including, but not lijmited to, that the atomisation isn't fine enough to provide a thin enough coat (thick coats chip much worse than thin ones) and the paint itself is not cured with a hardener, so can be a little brittle.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:46 am
Okay so I just called the supply store and they told me the paint in a can won't be good for a bumper.
So I guess I'm stuck with maybe borrowing a compressor from someone and using that.

So should I start with 180? Sand down the whole bumper with that

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic