Spray body filler over flexible plastic?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Hello all! First post here. I did use the search function but couldn't find an answer to my exact question.

I have some rubber/plastic parts of my 78 continental (in between bumper and rest of body). They are fairly flexible and will need to be flexed quite a bit to get them back I to place after paint. After that, they shouldn't flex much unless from heat/cold.

My question for experienced painters is, can I use something like feather fill g2 and then primer and urethane paint? Will this crack and fall apart when I go to install them?

I need some sort of filler as there are some spots that have been gouged out of the plastic.
I have a plan for the rest of the car, but I just realized those pieces may be difficult to work with.

Thank you!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:55 pm
I'm not hot on the sprayable bondos like Slick Sand, FeatherFill, etc., for this type of application. They work better over the semi-rigid stuff like fiberglass but you are really going to be flexing that to get it in I assume. You might be able to use something like USC's Pro-Flex which is a glazing putty. It can handle up to a 100 degree bend without distorting. You can go here for some more info....
https://www.uschem.com/en/products/fini ... d-putties/ Pro-Flex is about half way down.....
Hey, I've never worked on that particular car....any chance you could get that filler panel in part way before the bumper is fully pushed in for mounting?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 am
DarrelK wrote:I'm not hot on the sprayable bondos like Slick Sand, FeatherFill, etc., for this type of application. They work better over the semi-rigid stuff like fiberglass but you are really going to be flexing that to get it in I assume. You might be able to use something like USC's Pro-Flex which is a glazing putty. It can handle up to a 100 degree bend without distorting. You can go here for some more info....
https://www.uschem.com/en/products/fini ... d-putties/ Pro-Flex is about half way down.....
Hey, I've never worked on that particular car....any chance you could get that filler panel in part way before the bumper is fully pushed in for mounting?

I will have to check pro-flex out. But that is a good point. I think the only reason I had the flex them was to get around the bumpers. Then I realized taking the bumpers off would make the whole job easier. And come to think of it, all bumper bolts are accessible from underneath. I'll have to fit them into place first and see how much they bend.

Thanks for the help!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic