Outside Painting My Project

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:28 pm
I've looked at plastic body filler online ,I have no cracks in any of my plastics just light scratches and small dings, I'm not going to need much.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 pm
Told my wife I need to find something to fill in the small dings on plastic, she said use super glue!???? so threw that at a FB auto body page I belong to, professional and novice, they say she's right but add baking soda to it and it acts as a catalyst, sets it off and turns into hard plastic I can sand, I 'll experiment with it and post results!
Attachments
thumbnail (3).jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:39 pm
Have all parts sanded except rear bumper, spent at least 4 hours just on the front! there was some spray paint I used a few years back making it hard to remove, used 220 wet, I like the wet because it makes no dust, I'm still driving the van for now so getting 90% of the sanding done on bumpers while on the van, when its time will remove both for better access to sand nooks and crannies, much easier! these bumpers are very round so most of the work is by hand and using an old kitchen sponge as a backer.
So for primer I plan on epoxy primer 1st for its adhesion properties, from my research they say you can not sand it, you have to put 2K primer over it and sand that, need to find out before I buy that all primers will be compatible with acrylic urethane top color coat.
My hands are sore that's for sure!
I kept my old office chair and removed the back, makes it a lot easier for working on the Wonder van ! :happy:
Attachments
thumbnail (3).jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 pm
Oh forgot , my son forgot my super glue! that's OK, I read you can use JB Weld 2 part epoxy for the small dings, have to wait 24 hours for it to set, then can be sanded, just happened to have some here! I used it on the back side of panels , when I removed them it was not easy even with the removal kit I bought, a few of the mounting tabs broke off, so sanded the edges and used the JB Weld, works great!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:28 pm
Rear bumper off! easier to prep now.
Attachments
thumbnail (5).jpg
v.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:02 pm
Update, I set up my area outside on a brick deck, have 2 coats of 2K primer on, need to sand it a little and probably another 2 primer coats, coming along not going to be perfect by any means, but better than that nasty gold paint! no reaction from old paint!
I got my acrylic urethane paint and primer, plus other stuff from TCP Global $254
One thing I noticed when you sand down to black plastic its hard to cover that up, so many scratches! I hate plastic car parts!
Attachments
IMG_3852.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 am
All done, came out really good, for outside painting, van is Polar White trim is Arctic White.
Attachments
IMG_3962.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg
ll.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 am
Well that definitely looks much better. The two-tone look is very dating and having one colour has modernised it significantly.

One question though. Why did you use a different colour to that on the body?
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:14 am
I have a 92 300E 91 500SL Benz's that both needs some paint touch ups and their arctic white, the van is polar white, TCP Global does not carry that color,all I could get was a gallon, used about 2.5 qts, no biggie it matches pretty darn close, paint and supplies were about $400.
Attachments
before and after 2.jpg
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic