Primer selection

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 am
I'm not sure if I need filler but just in case I do I have to fill in big scratches. Okay so I have the information I need right now and I'll be back when I start sanding down appreciate your help.

just one last question you said I do not need adhesion promoter. If I remove all the old paint and primer and plastic shows can I prime over the plastic or do I need promoter

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 am
NFT5 wrote:You sand the paint off and plastic level with P180 on a DA and then go to P320. Use an interface pad so you reduce the chances of digging in. Keep pad level as much as possible. This gives more than enough key to enable mechanical adhesion of a 2K primer. Adhesion Promoter is not required in this situation.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm
Start ed the bumper today, after I tried sanding it down with 100 and 80 really having no luck I hit it with the air hose and it started flaking even more, The paint was flaking to the point that I could chip it off piece by piece with a razor blade gently without damaging the bumper. Couldn't believe how it all came off.

I still have about 25 to 30% of the bumper to get down to plastic but unfortunately it's hard to reach area . Try the new aircraft paint stripper and It didn't do anything, after doing some research I found out that they had to change the ingredients and the new stuff doesn't work nearly as good as the old stuff.

Any suggestions to finish stripping this paint really can't afford to get it sandblasted
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic