Textured plastic fender flares and top

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 am
So I have a 2021 Bronco reserved and I havent seen any options that say you can get a white top. Two reasons I want white is to match my 1970 Bronco and I live in TN and black top will be hot as hell. The tops appear to be textured plastic, anybody had any luck painting a surface that large in plastic and if so what's the process?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 am
White rooves went out of fashion in the 1970s.

If the plastic is painted then just scuff and paint. If it's bare plastic then scuff, spray on an adhesion promoter and paint. Beware the if the car was detailed before delivery then any plastic may well have been treated with silicone. Wash well then scrub thoroughly with a brush and Prepsol at least a couple of times and follow up with the same treatment using alcohol prior to washing well with soap and water. Then scuff with grey Scotchbrite combined with a scuffing paste before washing again.

Paint with 2K single stage is the easiest but clear over base is also perfectly acceptable.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 pm
If it's new and considering what dealerships here slather up surfaces like that with I think I would use Father Time and Mother Nature for help on that. Give it some time to let whatever they put on there wear off and let it set outside for a few weeks of exposure to the elements before you get into doing it. Then move on as outlined above^^^^^^^^^^^.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 pm
NFT5 wrote:White rooves went out of fashion in the 1970s.

If the plastic is painted then just scuff and paint. If it's bare plastic then scuff, spray on an adhesion promoter and paint. Beware the if the car was detailed before delivery then any plastic may well have been treated with silicone. Wash well then scrub thoroughly with a brush and Prepsol at least a couple of times and follow up with the same treatment using alcohol prior to washing well with soap and water. Then scuff with grey Scotchbrite combined with a scuffing paste before washing again.

Paint with 2K single stage is the easiest but clear over base is also perfectly acceptable.

White rooves never went out of style on Broncos.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:11 am
Ha, ha....... he's from that land down under....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic