Attaching plastic speaker ring to fiberglass fairing

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Greetings Iam installing 6-1/2" speakers to the inside of my custom fairing.
The instructions say to just bolt through. I would like to open the hole to correct size and install speaker ring . I would like some advise and direct in epoxying or gluing the rings in to be strong enough to handle the speakers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fairing 1.jpg
Attachments
Fairing 3.jpg
Fairing 2.jpg
"if you can't be good,
be good at it!"

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 am
Do you know what the ring is made of?..... problem I see with this is....you will only get a mechanical adhesion at best with trying to glue, glass, epoxy, whatever. Soooo....the bolts are going to attach mechanically anyway. I mean the stuff will only act as possibly a stiffener/sealer at best. I just did a similar mount in 6061 aluminum used bolts only and did a closed cell speaker basket behind it that the speaker mounted "through" from the front. It is solid and the low/mid frequency response is very clean and not muddy.
Ohh, and I just noticed....that is not regular fiberglass. It is SMC which means Sheet Molded Compound. You can only use SMC compatible (usually means epoxy) glues and resins when working with it... Just an opinion.....that is another good reason to just bolt it down.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Ok, I get what you are saying. I am pretty sure the ring is ABS. Another obsticale is unless I mount the speakers on the out side(bolt through) there is no way to cover with the grills. and when that stack up is added together there is not clearence. I am just worried about the vibration. I think this is going to take some pondering.
"if you can't be good,
be good at it!"

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:56 pm
Seems like it is always that way with audio installs. Some of my best laid plans went to crap when I fired my systems up. Yeah.....think it out..... and then if it is ABS it won't play well with most any other plastic.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 pm
Try CA Glue and use the Activator - Easily available on Amazon

We use it to bond acrylic to acrylic to expanded PVC and to aluminum sheet

If you needed to, you could just remake a new speaker ring out of acrylic, use that one as a template

65 dash Center  speaker (1).jpg

65 dash Center  speaker (4).jpg

65 dash Center  speaker (7).jpg

65 dash speaker wiring (1).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:15 am
Ooohhh.... that's pretty cool...... :goodpost:

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic