Color change only on platci bumper cover

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 pm
That sems wise. my issue at the moment is the online sources that colormatch is where I seem to be 'stuck'.

I find for example 'eastwood' epoxy primer, but there is nowhere to get paint with my color code.

Places that sell paint with my paint code I am having trouble with what exactly type of paint. they dont always say urethane, urethane/acrylic, acrylic or single/double/three stage.

Its a bloody mess :knockout:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 am
skippy wrote:
Places that sell paint with my paint code I am having trouble with what exactly type of paint. they dont always say urethane, urethane/acrylic, acrylic or single/double/three stage.

Its a bloody mess :knockout:

once again-year, make, and model of your vehicle.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:29 pm
[year] make model paint color name code
2003 Chrysler Brilliant Black PXR, AXR

Ditzler PPG Dupont RM BASF Autocolor Sherwin Williams
5931 P2235 621638,621633 1GHAB 63818

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:57 pm
If you want to do your stuff online with one line I'd just give that info. to Tamco and let them set you up with what you need. I would call them. https://tamcopaint.com/ Trust me, they will have it all.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am
does tamco have ful thane?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 am
If that is the Nason Ful Thane then no....that would have to come from a Nason or Dupont jobber.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 am
was hoping to get full urethane for the durability, I do pull trailer sometimes etc. already priced dupont chromax, waaaay too much $$$ for this project.

I dropped about $500 in equipment & materials, another 1k not gonna happen, my price point is 2-3 hundred on product...

think the 2k would work better for me and 2 part as well. so many different stuff to make the it all work blowing my budget. may need to go single stage....

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am
In that price range Tamco is probably going to be your only hope. I would put Tamco's Euro Clear up against ANY of the big manufacturers urethane products. Their products are crafted using top of the line BASF resins. You will not find better especially at their pricing. And you are worrying wayyyyyy to much about durability/wear.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 pm
went to Sherwin Williams today. The problem with Tamco was the 3-5 day lead time. I had not realized I would spend nearly a week and a half, on-and-off doing research...

on the phone I thought we were on the same page base/activator/reducer, clear/activator/reducer, epoxy primer.... "we dont have epoxy primer" oh, ok. When I got there, the base has no activator, but the clear does. I'm guessing I got acrylic, or some blend. dunno.

stopped at a local mix house that was recommended, got a bunny suit, filters for my respirtor, and some oops paint.

I am sooo glas I took the advice to get oops paint and 'play' with the gun a bit. Best advice EVER! I may still screw up, but it would have been a disaster.

The Concours 2 sprays very nice ( I wouldn't know the difference anyway :happy: )

The R-M Bermuda metallic blue oops paint only set me back $2.50 for a half pint LOL. I used half of it to paint any junk in reach around my garage!

Anyway, the value line at SW set me back about 150, the premium was about 350. He DID tell be beforehand that the color may not be perfect with that line, so I will see how I like it.

My hood needs painting from the bazillion things from the road over the last 18yrs :P I figure If I'm not happy with the SW I may strip it and do both the bumper and the hood next spring

Thanks for all the advice from the contributors I am in the learning process. I will post a few picks.

AFA durability, its tied with appearance. This truck sees alot of use. I rebuilt the engine last year. myself. no long block crap, old school. I take care of my stuff, but I put the screws to it when needed. Know what I mean? :rockon:
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic