Fiberglass Hood.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:35 am
I made a 2 part mold and built a nice fiberglass hood. Long story short I loaned it out and it got stolen. I was driving down the road and my hood pins wernt secured and I demolished my fiberglass hood I made. I need to make a new hood but all I have is metal one that I used to cut out bolt and hinge supports for my fiberglass one which I inserted into my glass hood. I am on a time crunch and cannot make another 2 piece mold before. Is it possible to take my already painted junk metal hood and lay tape, aluminum foil, wax or parchment paper etc down over the hood and lay directly ont top of that? Obviously I'd do a few layers then pop it off and lay the inside but I am wondering what my best option would be. Any help would be appreciated. Yes I know this isn't the right way to do it but I don't have that much time.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:06 am
A one piece mold will suffice, if you aren't fussy about how the insides look (Most aftermarket ones show cloth/matte inside)
I don't understand why you need wax paper, plastic wrap, etc? Just wax the hood 2-3 times, shoot a coat of mold release on it, and proceed. Mold release is sold by every company that makes fiberglass supplies, and you can probably get it on Amazon, or Ebay, as well.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:38 am
Yep, down and dirty.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's what I would do. At some of the larger supplier they may refer to mold release as a "release butter." Partall is the last stuff I bought.... here is a link....
https://www.amazon.com/PARTALL-Paste-Mo ... 6773&psc=1
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:09 am
https://www.amazon.com/PVA-PARTALL-Film ... 151&sr=8-4

And here is the mold release spray you put on before layup. This is the tricky part! Spray very light coats, 2 or 3 if I remember. Let dry thoroughly before gelcoating/layup. The great thing about this stuff, is when the part is ready to be released, you can shoot some water between the parts, which dissolves the release agent, and lets the part come out easier. Blowing a little shop air into the space between the part and mold also helps it pop right out!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic