Can this fiberglass hood be saved?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:27 am
[list=][/list] if so, is there anybody that could lay it out for me step by step? what tools would be needed? i dont know much of anything about body work, but i cant afford to take it to a body shop right now. Even if it could just be straightened out, im not sure though. the headlight i will replace
Attachments
2FB15682-7130-4B8A-975A-98261F17060F.jpeg
E6610250-6557-469C-A43B-04042E2C985D.jpeg
62AEBE07-AC01-4752-A0F6-79074C2E28E1.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:50 pm
When I blow up your pic.s the edges of that broken out mess shows kind of whiteish powdery look to it. That usually means this in not regular fiberglass but a type of composite call SMC which stands for sheet molded compound. These parts are made in compression molds with mold release actually mixed into the compound. When the part is finished forming in that mold it easily pops out because of that special mix. The downside to that is you cannot use regular fiberglass repair materials for the rework. All fillers and adhesives must say "safe for SMC" on their labels. Okay, so beyond that it sounds like you have little to no experience doing this kind of work.... You don't just "straighten" out something like this. You usually have to cut out the bad or at least kerf the area into sections then put it back together. Looks to me that "you" would be better off buying a new fender, figuring out how it is mounted, and then slap some 2k aerosol epoxy on there until you can afford to have it painted......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:08 pm
So it's hard to tell from those pic.s..... that really is a one piece hood????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:49 pm
DarrelK wrote:So it's hard to tell from those pic.s..... that really is a one piece hood????

Sure looks like it. I had to look twice. Fender and hood are one.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:56 pm
Well, if that's the case I doubt this is going to be any part of a DIY and getting the whole hood is going to be cost prohibitive as well. Maybe just replace the headlight and get a nose bra for it and wait until you can get a pro to do it for you.....

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:28 am
DarrelK wrote:When I blow up your pic.s the edges of that broken out mess shows kind of whiteish powdery look to it. That usually means this in not regular fiberglass but a type of composite call SMC which stands for sheet molded compound. These parts are made in compression molds with mold release actually mixed into the compound. When the part is finished forming in that mold it easily pops out because of that special mix. The downside to that is you cannot use regular fiberglass repair materials for the rework. All fillers and adhesives must say "safe for SMC" on their labels. Okay, so beyond that it sounds like you have little to no experience doing this kind of work.... You don't just "straighten" out something like this. You usually have to cut out the bad or at least kerf the area into sections then put it back together. Looks to me that "you" would be better off buying a new fender, figuring out how it is mounted, and then slap some 2k aerosol epoxy on there until you can afford to have it painted......

Hood is broken, fender is fine. everything broken you see is the hood

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:29 am
myke wrote:
DarrelK wrote:So it's hard to tell from those pic.s..... that really is a one piece hood????

Sure looks like it. I had to look twice. Fender and hood are one.

Yes saturn sky its all 1 piece the hood forms around the headlight but thank you for your guyses repsonses

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:51 am
Very familiar with the Sky and Solstice models. So yes, that is SMC and it is very thin SMC at that. Not even easy for a pro to get right. You might try and do a parts search at www.car-parts.com and see if any used hoods in that color come up, long shot, but you never know...

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic