Single vs 2 stage

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 pm
Okay, so stripping..... fiberglass and chemical stripping can be very problematic, especially now. You see the bathtub refinishing industry had no idea how to properly use methelyne chloride base strippers in a bathtub situation. Thes guys poured stripper in the tubs and stuck their faces right down it and scrubbed until..... unfortunately, they killed themselves. So in the last 15 years or so about 15 of these guys died. This would mean that evil ingredient was a known killer. All the big and little box stores did not want controversy so they pulled it ALL from their shelves voluntarily.
So you are now left with I consider ineffectual chemistries to remove paints, finishes, etc. Me, I can still buy it because I am in the stripping business. It just skyrocketed my costs from $300 a barrel to $800 a barrel......
So chemicals and fiberglass never did mix well and can be the "real problem" behind bubbles forming. The new chemicals would probably be even worse than the old..... I'd prefer to see sanding done to remove coatings on fiberlgass, sometimes even scraping can be done.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:00 pm
badsix wrote:heres what i think. first urathane S.S i no harder to apply than a clear coat over basecoat, its the same stuff. i wouldn't hesitate to use a S/S solid color, BUT i wouldn't use a S/S metalic. the S/S metallics just don't look or hold up as good as B/C. i have had S/S metallics go on real good and some that don't. as for application S/S metallics go on good you just have to know how its done. as for durability urathane S/S is just as good as a clear coat, agian its the same stuff. the one real deal maker with B/C is the repairability. its easy to repair a spot by blending the color and clearing the complete panel, not so easily done with S/S.
Jay D.

Let me know when I use up my quota of questions. Found a small out of the way shop, husband and wife team. He does not want to use SS, said that between painting the 2 colors plus the roof it would be much easier to do 2 stage. Also gave me an option of his normal quote paints or upgrade to high solids clear and a paint called Matrix. He also mentioned 2 clear coats, one was Varathane, but forgot the other one. The higher quality paints will be an $850 up charge, does that sound about right?? Again this is a large vehicle a Cab and chassis from the factory with a raised roof fiberglass body added. 02 Roadtrek class B.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:10 pm
Okay, so with the upgrades in base and clear what number did he throw at you?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:09 am
The price is concerning, $4300. VS $8000 and $12-$15000.

Interesting, the stripping chemicals are still available. What I bought in the stores was useless.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:16 am
That seems pretty reasonable to me..... local garage painters are always going to be a better deal, however get everything in writing that is being done. Supplies are super expensive now....
On stripping....yeah, so far our methylene chloride active ingredient has found no equal. We've done test after test to see what is working.... goes from totally ineffectual to brutally slow..... Our next big leap in stripping will be laser ablation vaporization.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:54 am
I have a fiancé now, no more strippers' for me. i did have my fun with them though :rotfl:
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:41 pm
Oh, I could "barely" stand that one Dave...... :rotfl:

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:24 am
jjrbus1 wrote:Not going to do my own painting and confused. 02 Chevy roadtrek with fiberglass body. One shop wants to do 2 stage the other single stage. 2 stage shop $12-$15,000, single stage$8,000... For $12-$15K I will get a couple gallons of house paint and roll it. LOL

jjrbus1 wrote:The price is concerning, $4300. VS $8000 and $12-$15000.

I'd be a bit worried about the quality of work for that lower price. There is no way that I could respray a vehicle of that size for that kind of money; more likely to be in the $10-12K range.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:53 pm
I'd agree but the economy over here is kind of a mess right now. Wouldn't be surprised that someones trying to launch their small business with a quote like that..... They may not have any idea of what they are headed for.....
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic