Painting plastic components

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:55 am
Gents

Hoping to get some guidance on restoring plastic interior trim permanantly via painting. What would be a standard process?

Do I first wetsand it with like 600g odd after a thorough clean?
After spraying a plastic adhesion promoter do I paint it the same as a metal part? ie. 2K primers and paints? I see there a rattle can plastic paints like colorbond LVP refinisher / SEM brand - is there something in their formulation the bonds differently with plastic vs paint that would make them a better option?

Appreciate any help

Adam

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:07 pm
It depends on whether there is a texture to the plastic panels.
Generally a good cleaning and adequate time to dry.
Follow with adhesion promoter, following the Technical Data Sheet and when ready, I like to apply a reduced coat of epoxy primer first. After that, a premium base coat mixed for interior application as shown below.

INTERIOR (no clear or flex agents needed)
Mixing Ratio Instructions 1 part basecoat
10% hardener (I use clear coat activator)
75% - 100% Reducer

Works great on vinyl as well as plastic. Some things I have painted with this:
Dash center.JPG

Console Trim.JPG

Arm Rests.JPG
Attachments
Console Front.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:36 pm
Preparation depends on the paint you're using. I use the Cromax 305S/306S vinyl binders with Cromax tinters. In that system the substrate must be thoroughly cleaned, first by washing if possible or a water/alcohol cleaner and then with Prepsol. The use of an adhesion promoter or primer is not recommended since the binders do that.

The key with painting plastics and vinyls is to keep the paint layer thin. Too thick and it won't flex and ends up cracking. I wouldn't use spray cans since the droplet size is too big - I like a very fine atomisation so the surface is covered and coloured but any texture in the substrate remains clearly visible.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:21 pm
:goodpost:
NFT5 wrote:Preparation depends on the paint you're using. I use the Cromax 305S/306S vinyl binders with Cromax tinters. In that system the substrate must be thoroughly cleaned, first by washing if possible or a water/alcohol cleaner and then with Prepsol. The use of an adhesion promoter or primer is not recommended since the binders do that.

The key with painting plastics and vinyls is to keep the paint layer thin. Too thick and it won't flex and ends up cracking. I wouldn't use spray cans since the droplet size is too big - I like a very fine atomisation so the surface is covered and coloured but any texture in the substrate remains clearly visible.
:goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:41 am
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic