Painting the lower plastic trim to match the body

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:21 pm
Hi Guys, I'm after some info on the proper technique to paint the plastic panels to match the body.
I have a Suzuki Jimny, which has just one faded wheel arch/fender - and needs painting.
All the wheel arches, lower body and bumpers are plastic,
The body of the car is a typical lacquer, but on the plastic panels, the finish is a matt.
The panels do have a texture to them.
The paint code is the same, but the finish is totally different.
Is this simply because it is textured plastic, or is there a different technique?
Matt lacquer perhaps?
I'm happy to experiment, but would rather get it right from the off.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:53 am
mickyd wrote:Is this simply because it is textured plastic, or is there a different technique?

Just textured plastic.

mickyd wrote:info on the proper technique to paint the plastic panels to match the body.

You'll have to sand off the old faded paint. In doing that you'll make the surface smooth, which, unfortunately, means that you'll then have to sand all the textured plastic smooth. It is possible to use a high build primer to achieve the same, but the thicker you go the greater the chance of it cracking or failing later. The other alternative is to buy new parts.

Repaint using standard techniques other than a plastic adhesion promoter or special plastic primer on the bare plastic.
Chris

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic