Plastic Bumper Add Ons

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:07 pm
Hi Guys,

Been asked to repair and spray a front and rear bumper aftermarket add os for a VW. As per the pics, you can see that they are used and it looks like someone did a rattle can job on them. Some scraping on the front one from curbs I assume. After the usual washing I will need to sand and fill the damage. Wondering if i need to go the whole epoxy primer/sanding and then the base/clear or can I do my repair and fill it and hit it all with a grey scotchbrite pad and a sealer coat before I top coat it. I know I need to get all that rattle can paint off first off. Advice? Still kinda new with plastic parts.
bumper.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:13 am
Take all that old paint off and start again. Do your repairs and paint it.

I'd sand that stuff off. DA with not coarser than P180, other wise you'll tear the plastic up and have more problems to deal with.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am
NFT5 wrote:Take all that old paint off and start again. Do your repairs and paint it.

I'd sand that stuff off. DA with not coarser than P180, other wise you'll tear the plastic up and have more problems to deal with.
Thanks Chris...I was concerned about going too course on the sanding. Would you recommend an adhesion promoter?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:44 am
AP is not necessary on a sanded plastic surface if using a good quality primer. More than enough mechanical adhesion to not have to worry about it ever coming off.

In 20+ years of painting plastic bars I only ever used about a litre of AP. Still have the other 4 litres in the tin. I did, and still do, use a special Cromax primer for problem plastics, like cheap body kits where the plastic is just full of mould release agent, but that's a different situation.
Chris

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic