Need Advice: How to paint fiberglass hood?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:01 am
I'm currently working through a couple of projects I need to paint. In this case, I have a fiberglass hood that is completely sanded down, I want to make sure I do the right thing to paint it. Do I need to put a gel coat over it, or can I just prime and paint it using the same techniques as the rest of the car. The body of the car has been painted by my Father In Law, who has passed away, so I'm working at completing this without him. (Going to attempt to attach a picture, this is my first post here).

79 Camaro (2).jpg

I also have to see why the sides of the hood are bowed up after I get out of outage (I'm working nights). It could be the hinges, but it's old, and it could be warped. I worked on this car for 9 years, then sold it, the guy who purchased it got it running and driving, and I was presented with the opportunity to buy it back.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:14 am
You guys have sure been bringing the pain lately with these projects. First, you can't even talk about paint work without getting this distorted mass in shape. Unfortunately, you have one of the worst kind of hoods for this kind of problem. The large scoop system adds rigidity to the hood which you would think would be a good thing....in this case it is not. The hood has taken what we call in woodworking a compression set. In other words it may have been off, stored at an angle, stored on end, whatever and has relaxed into the current shape. If this was something simple like a Cobra hood you could do some relief cuts here and there and lock it from the back side with some supports or more fiberglass. If I were you I'd have a body shop look at that hood and see if they either have suggestions or could just do it for you.
Okay, so the fact that you are even considering doing a gel coat coat is just going in the wrong direction. I think you need to consider doing either something like Slick Sand, Featherfill, or any other sprayable bondo style polyester high build. Another option would be something like Tamco's high build epoxy which does the same thing..... Just remember somthing here though...... The final size and shape of that hood must be a done and over thing before you attempt to paint this hood.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:45 am
^^^^^ Yes to this! Often, even a new hood doesn't have the correct shape, and must be adjusted. Very minor changes, not like your major ones, can be done with tie straps and pieces of wood. Yours need the technique Darrel mentioned. Another thing to look for: regular hood springs are too strong for 'glass hoods, and can also cause the hoods to bend. Be sure lighter springs were installed on this hood!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:43 am
Good catch on the spring thing.... forgot all about those. A lot of guys will swap from steel hoods to fiberglass and just don't take into consideration the weight difference. They go ahead and start trying to use the hood with the OEM springs and that begins long term distortion in the whole thing..... Fiberglass parts that are "in motion" like hoods, deck lids, trunk lids etc., are just not as stable as the steel they replaced. If you ever wonder why hot rod guys will refer to their rides as "all steel" they are saying their car has accurate panel fitment..... When I build the new Smyth ute kit conversions NONE of the fiberglass is stressed or moving. All of our structure is 6061 aluminum......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:44 pm
These hood springs are the lighter ones. As a science project I will remove them and see how the hood sits. I know that while I had the car it was often either on it's side leaned against the wall, or sitting on the roof of the car. I sold the car in 2020, then purchased it back with an LS swap and manual conversion as it is now.

I'm currently working nights though and will revisit this after outage and I rotate back to my normal life. Worst case scenario, I live somewhat near to Glasstek, so I could go there and get a new hood, ideally drive the car there and bolt it on and drive home, but I don't know if it will fit without modification, that seems like it's hit or miss from reading about it on forums.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:59 pm
I have only seen one fiberglass hood that bolted right in with no mods. It was a $2000 hood that I got because it had been dropped and needed some repair for like $400. It had been pressure molded as a sheet mold compound piece with the molding taken directly from an OEM hood.
I'd just flat out ask the fiberglass dealer if.... "Hey, if I come get this can we fit it well enough for me to get home, maybe with some straps or bungees holding it down?"

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:46 pm
My Caravaggio blower hood bolted up without any modifications on my C5 Corvette :) It does cost around 1k however. BTW, not sure if this helps (I'm fairly new), I just repaired and painted the same hood. I used 2K Urethane Primer and also a 2K clear). It came out nice.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic