Hey, how cool is this!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 am
Well, it looks like we've got a fiberglass and plastics section! If you're doing any type of glass and plastic work let's hear about it. As for myself I'm looking at several possible projects that I'll start this coming summer. I'm in the process of narrowing down my next kit build to the following...

Factory Five GTM Super Coupe
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Dragon Motor Cars- Series II Roadster
http://www.dragonmotorcars.com/

39 Studebaker Truck Custom
http://www.kreativerodwerks.com/

Victor Coupe
http://www.rmotorsport.info/VictorCoupe.html

No matter which one of these projects I choose it's going to get a Chevy LS series motor in it. I'm hoping LS2 or LS3. These motors are very much "plug and play" with GM's latest stand alone wiring packages. Probably going with Auto Air Colors again with solid colors toward the lower body parts and special effects on the hood, deck lid, etc. Sure would like to try my luck at a special effects Dragon on the underside of the front hood of that Dragon Series II. Quality of glass work looks the best on that car while probably the most challenging is the GTM and the 39 Studebaker Truck.

So whaddaa ya' think? Which one would you build? 8)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:26 am
This is cool! :)

They all look good! But man, this rocks!!

Looking forward to seeing the next big DarrelKit car!

:)
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:37 am
The GTM and the Studebaker all the way. Looking foreward to see the next build here also

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Since it's not my money.......... the FF GTM hands down. That's in a whole other class compared to your other options.

How about an Ultima GTR?? Hard to find a better platform for an LS motor......

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/usa/

Scroll down for videos of how to smoke an Enzo.......... :)

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/laprecord.html

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:51 pm
Very cool since just about all I deal with is plastic and fiberglass.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:13 pm
The GTM is freakin awesome, looks quite a bit like a Saleen. Since I'm into old rides I quite like the Stude as well.
Rob

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:06 pm
Darrel, have you put one of thsoe LS motors in before? I'm toying with the idea of putting one in my pickup, the motor in it is pretty much done and an LS would look nice under the hood. It's a lowerd shortbox so it wouldn't loook out of place :D I'm just not overly up on wiring harnesses for EFI motors.
Rob

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:48 pm
Well, personally I like the GTM the best of the group too but boy are the guys building them having some problems. I joined the GTM Forum about 4 months ago and started to work a build sheet on costs. Sheesh!, donor C5 Vettes are getting pricing and one of the biggest hitches is coming up with a properly built and re-geared Porsche G-50 transaxle to handle those LS motors. California Motorsports quoted me between $7000 and $8000 for that tranny alone. I'm kind of a scrounger (e-bay, local sales, etc.) by nature on projects anyway and you just can't be skimpy on this transaxle. It's a shame they didn't make the GTM a little longer wheelbase. In that case the entire Vette drivetrain might be retained by simply shortening the trans. tube and keeping that rear mounted GM trans. I know a guy that's doing that with a Ferrari 250 GTO replica.

Rjuhasz, you're absolutely right about the Saleen influences in the GTM, it was one of the cars that some body lines were patterned after. As for the LS motor thing, no as of this moment I haven't done one yet, but I've been doing my homework on them all summer. I've talked to at least a half dozen guys that have put them in original early Vettes, pick-up trucks, street rods, etc. It's a good swap for a lot of reasons. First, GM Performance can give you a lot of technical support on the install, second, there are now several local tuners that tune these motors, third, aftermarket wiring harnesses can be made for direct plug and play for your application. You can pick up almost any street rod magazine and find these wiring application guys. I think the single biggest reason for going with something like the LS motors is their re-sale appeal. You're going to stand a better chance of selling an emissions compliant OBD II motor in a car in most any state. I've gotten into this habit now of doing a build, enjoying it for awhile, then selling on e-bay or locally. The first words out of most peoples mouths is, "Can this thing pass an e-check or have you fooled with the emissions stuff?" Another thing I have found out from several guys at shows is these LS motors repsond very well to low amounts of boost. About 7 to 8 p.s.i. from a low profile supercharger can easily put you in the 450 to 600 h.p. range depending on which LS motor your working with.

I'm still undecided as to which way to go but I'm leaning toward the GTM or the Dragon. Even if I build the Dragon first, I'd still consider that the warm up for doing the GTM just a little later. Like I said it still bothers me that these GTM builders are having so many problems, for example, the bodys on the cars are supposed to be a "non stressed" part (underlying chassis is a rolling "go cart") but a guy recently started getting cracks in his body after only 1500 miles of driving. I'm telling you guys, straight up, that SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. Is the fiberglass just kind of crappy, or worse yet, is that chassis flexing underneath??? I put over 10,000 miles on my SuperStepSide truck build with no cracks at all and I wasn't gentle with it. The GTM build could run easliy twice the bucks to build as that truck so I expect a better product. Oh, well I'll get this figured out over the next few months. Let's just enjoy our new Fiberglass and Plastics section. :)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:17 am
I only got $9800 salvage value for my 6sp manual C-5 vette after I totaled it. :oops:

The LS motors are the **** IMO. All I had done to mine was a hot cam kit, LS6 intake, intake and exhaust upgrades and 4:10 gears and I was making Mid 12 second passes. They aren't that hard to tune and there's tons of after market support for that motor.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 am
Man, $9800??? You was robbed! You just gotta take a look at what they're getting for this 2007 Vette Crispy Critter....
http://www.kimmotor.com/cars.asp?st=V12 ... =Chevrolet
Scroll through those pics., and that melted pile of crap is yours for a measly 5 grand!

MId 12s, yeah I'll buy that for sure. The guys with those Dragon cars were running in the low 11s because of the 1000 to 1200 pound weight difference fom the original Vette. GTM guys say the LS7 combo is good for a 3 second flat 0 to 60 time.
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic