Hey, how cool is this!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:09 am
I don't consider myself robbed..... I paid $19,500 for that car,, drove it for almost 4 years, wrecked it and was given $19K for it after I wrecked it. They gave me the option of fixing it or totaling it ($9,800 salvage + the $9,200 repair bill) it was paid for and I was planning on selling it anyway so I took the cash. :wink: I don't miss it at all. I got plenty of other stuff to drive, I liked the motor more than I liked the car. :shock:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 am
You're going to stand a better chance of selling an emissions compliant OBD II motor in a car in most any state.

I'll assume that all emissions devices can be fairly easily installed...
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 pm
Yep, not too hard to figure out, exhaust cats, evap. system, etc. If I buy an entire donor car it's usually just a matter of swapping it all directly over. Only the ECM gets a re-program to defeat anti-theft, adjust shift points (on the auto trans.), etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:17 pm
Oh Oh OHHH that black car is the shiznik 8) :shock: that GTM Factory Five car doesn't cost much either.. $19K for the kit plus you need like $6K to buy a donor C5 Vette. Oh man that is looking so tempting.

Where do i buy one?? That would be perfect for advertising my business since i do composites work for sport and racing motorcycles.

Bloverby, you should drive the 500hp Z06 :D My boss just had a cat-back system installed on his, sounds great and has remote control flapper valves built into the tail pipes.
Last edited by Fast7 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:25 pm
Oh, i forgot to post my photos here of the composites work i do..lol duhh.

These are some heel guards i make from carbon fiber, and the other photo is of a solo seat cowl i just started making. It is fresh out of the mold this morning, so it needs trimming and a tiny bit of work.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb18 ... cfirst.jpg

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb18 ... aurds2.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:25 pm
Fast7 before you'd assume you could build that GTM on the cheap, consider this.... The kit is going to be more like $22k by the time you have it transported and add A/C. Decent donor Vettes are running more like $10 to $15K and then there's that G50 tranny which when re-built and re-geared is in the $7 to $8k range. Not one of the guys I've talked to about these cars has spent less than $35k so far and most have been spending more like $45 to $55k. Don't get me wrong, properly built these cars are competeing with $100k++ exotic mid-engine cars which makes them a bargain. Remember too, my average kit car build has been running about 1000 hours (that does include my bodywork and paint). That GTM is more like a 2000 hour project.

Just don't want to see you jump on a killer project without some background on it. I've been building kit cars for 35 years now, and trust me 70% never end up on the road at all. I've seen the same unfinished kits sell 3 or 4 times on e-bay.

Hey, nice fab. work, by the way. 8)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:39 pm
Good points DarrelK :wink:

I suppose there are more important things i should consider before buying a high end kit car, like buying a house or condo. And I need/want a new bike, i'm thinking of a 2006 CBR1000RR, or something along those lines.

Click on the photos button on this link to see the bike...
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?s ... icle_id=80

I'll post up some more parts i make in the near future here. I've got about 10 different parts in the works currently. I'll also demonstrate a carbon fiber overlay on my CBR900RR bodywork.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 pm
The GTM car is super cool!! That red is a cool color on the Cobra and the GTM. What type of red do you think it is??
"The smoker you play is the drinker you get"

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:36 am
I think that was an HOK candy apple color.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:58 am
GTM is bad azzzzzz...
Stude' would nmake a great Home Depot / Parts hauler - S-10 V6...
Don't worry about OBD-II on the LS motors. You can program out all the codes for no cats and re-mapp for power.
I have a 99Z with functional sidepipes (electric GTP Cut-outs straight from the collector) and get it inspected / sniffed every year. If they ask I tell them the cats is in the sidepipe. They just look for codes anyway.
Using a 914 trans??
Neat build - looking forward to seeing it as it develops... 80GG
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic