Bridging A Gap

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:06 pm
Han, DK, 80, I appreciate the kind words.

Han, the red is Japanrot which seems like an odd name for the paint on a German car but that's what it is. Cost was about $25 for half a pint SW Ultra 7000.

The bumper is gone he has a show the day after tomorrow and I just made the deadline. He picked it up this morning and was off to the muffler shop to get it finished up.

But..... I bought the exact same fg bumper the other day for $25 from a kid who couldn't mount it and sold his car before he even tried. I need to find the dual exhaust diffusor and I'll do another one. Should take me half the time right..... :lol:

I've never done a mold so maybe you guys can post up a step by step for me pretty please.

Thanks again guys.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm
...be happy to. I have a couple of pics of some molds. Even some that I did NOT use drywall / drywall mud :)
I do have one I ran out of glass mat and used old towels I wetted out. Worked fine - just to add bulk... Also one I used scraps of wood to strengthen and make it lay flat.
Let me know when. 80GG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 pm
Yeah, 80-Grit Guy, any outline of your ideas of how molding should be done would be great here. Most of my "molding" experience is with duplicating wooden parts by using theatrical grade latex for the mold base. I am up on multi-dimensional molding because of that but just never carried it over to the auto hobby. Most stuff I've done so far has been more "one offs" using the lost foam method. I'd really like to do an original body down the road and if it looked good taking a mold off of it would seem like a smart thing to do. Don't really want to get into the kit business but funding my "hobby" would be nice.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 pm
It's cold and raining here so I'm killing time posting pics..... lol

Mike

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:05 pm
Nicee..... Looks like an OEM part there. I like that whole look on the rear end with the bigger exhaust tips. No giant fart cans, just muscular looking tips with balanced body work. Great job! 8)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Thank you DK.

I sure wish I could match paint better though, it's slightly off.

In direct sunlight it's barely noticable but in the shade it's not so good in my opinion.

I don't mix my own so that's a problem, plus I don't have the car to check the match either. I just buy it straight off the shelf and hope for the best.
Last edited by Apexxn on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 pm
Yeah, that's tough not having the car for a match. Guys just hand me parts and paint sometimes and say "Here, paint this," and I'm going, "Okay but it might be off." Well, at least with a bumper cover like that it's a natural break line in the styling so the human eye is mostly "tricked" about what it's seeing in subtle color differences. Probabaly bothers "you" more than the guy that owns it. 8)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 am
Sweet! without access to some tints, you just have to trust your
paint guy...but looks great for sure. How is the front looking?
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:05 pm
Han when are you going to start selling paint on the side. lol

Here's the front. He wants me to paint the hood but leave the two front grill areas cf.

Mike

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:51 am
Man that's loud! Painting the hood red would look good with the cf
vents. But i almost wanna see some chrome (front grills) to break it
all up. Maybe some eye lids too for some more badassness...:)
A man can do all things if he but wills them.
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic