Bridging A Gap

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:14 pm
Some of you will remember this fg bumper that was brought to me by a guy who couldn't get a shop to mount it..... for a price he could afford anyway.

So I fabricated some brackets and got it to mount up great.

Six months goes by and he's back with a new idea. He wants the stock diffusor cut out of it and a CF M3 diffusor to be added to it.

Stock diffusor:

M3 diffusor cut and rough glassed in:

Here's the question what is the best way to go about bridging this gap which is 2":

I've done smaller gaps and just layed down some masking tape and poured some resin layed down some cloth more resin another layer of cloth etc. etc. to get the strength and thickness I needed.

This is a bit bigger though and I think some of you guys have used foil or something I don't remember what to make a mold to lay it up.

Thanks guys.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:42 pm
Looks like an interesting project, Mike.

Your local Kroger will sell a heavy duty aluminum foil that might work to make a form. The wife has some in the kitchen right now; it's considerably heavier than the ordinary kitchen aluminum foil.

I don't see why you couldn't double it, form and tape it around the piece, and then start laying the cloth and resin.....
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:14 pm
you could use thealuminium sort of duct tape the real stuff we use some all the time for bumper repairs as soon as you feel it start to harden and heat up pull it off
R&R front bumper cover- 1.5
R&R lwr grille- incl
R&R fog lamps- incl
R&R upper grille- incl
replace retainer- incl
WTF!!!!!!! everything is INCLUDED!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:23 pm
Formica with release wax on it works good for a mould.
You can use a lot of different plastics for a mould as long as you wax them first.
See if you can find an old bumper some where to cut a section out of it.

There is all kinds of ways you can do that :wink:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 pm
ODG, yeah I like that Formica method a lot. Stuff flexs nice and it releases nice using wax or spray mold release. I have also used thicker aluminum foil and roof flashing as well.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:35 pm
If I use formica how do I stop the resin from dripping out from in between the formica and the bumper.
Mike

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:38 pm
NightTrain wrote:Looks like an interesting project, Mike..

Thanks, I like doing one off projects like this. Breaks the boredom of just painting bumpers and painting bumpers and painting bumpers.
Mike

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 am
I lke pastic welding. That is an option too. I have urethane supply companies and a liester.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 am
Mike asked,,"If I use formica how do I stop the resin from dripping out from in between the formica and the bumper.

I would use 2" tape :wink:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:25 pm
Thanks ODG I figured I could run tape around the outside of the formica. I was hoping for some secret way to keep the resin from getting in between the formica and the outside of the bumper in the overlap. I hate sanding resin off painted surfaces as it's a **** to keep from damaging a bigger area than I like.

What I like about tape only is it keeps the outside surface nice and tidy.

What I can understand is better about formica is it would make a much smoother straighter lay up.
Mike

Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic