Carbon Fiber Hoods...

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:02 pm
I'm planning on purchasing a carbon fiber hood for my race car in the near future and am looking for any tips or pointers.
I'll be looking for a 2"-4" cowl induction style pin on type hood. From the shopping Ive done so far, there aren't many companies out there making them.
And the ones that do are expensive. Apparently there is a fiber shortage because of Military demand. Crazy.

I did find a nice one made by Skinny Kid Race Cars but it looks to be between $800 and $900 before shipping. yikes

https://www.skinnykidracecars.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8793COWL4%22HOOD&Category_Code=WINDBODY1-02

Anyone have any luck with CF hoods?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:42 pm
I have a CF hood and rear spoiler on my car. I've had quite a bit of it on my bikes over the last 12 years or so.

I've painted various CF pieces, hoods, trunks, side skirts and spoilers.

What do you mean by have any luck?
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 pm
I have had a few fiberglass hoods over the past couple years and results very with fitment and finish. Thats basicly what I was asking.

Im just afraid to shell out close to a thousand dollars for a hood and
it fit like crap and be wavy. I imagine quality would be good with a price like that though. ;)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:51 pm
Ok, I would rate fiberglass hoods and pieces about the same as CF, you do seem to get what you pay for.

The CF hoods I've seen for just over a grand were double sided true CF. The CF hoods I've seen in the $750 range were single sided bottom being fiberglass.

I've yet to see one that fits perfectly without moving/adjusting fenders, bumpers etc.

Good luck with it.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:45 am
Thanks Mike.

I'll be sure to have a butt load of pics up when its together. :)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:07 pm
Just get the carbon fiber on one side, hood. Here's why.. not many people care what the underside looks like and with a glass bottom hood it will be painted black from the mfg. Fiction... Carbon Fiber weighs less than fiberglass. I'ts a myth. They weigh the same when it comes to the cloth materials. CSM fiberglass is heavy because that material soaks up a ton of resin making it heavy. So if you can find a mfg that doesn't use CSM as the back of the hood that's a plus for strength and weight savings.

Also ask and be sure they use epoxy resin when they make it... Polyester and Vinyl Ester resins will turn yellow with time.. guaranteed. Ask them if they clearcoat their carbon fiber hoods... because trust me, you do want it clearcoated or else it will yellow from the UV light.

Hope that helps you out :wink:

I don't make hoods, but if I did the price would start at $1000 for that type of hood with fiberglass as the inner frame of the hood.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:13 pm
well I broke down and ordered a hood.

I called Skinny Kid and they said it would take up to 12 weeks to have the hood I wanted made, plus the prices went up. eek.

I ended up calling VFN Fiberglass in Illinois and ordered one of their
pin-on 3" Cowl hoods. They said they can have it made extra light
to weigh 9lbs. and it should be ready in 5 to 6 weeks. heres a link
to what I ordered. http://vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm its under the '87-'93 Mustang stuff.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:34 pm
Matt VFN makes good stuff - I've used a purchased a few hoods / scoops from them.
Be carful if they provide the lighter hood - you may want to use 6 pins instead of 4 - to keep it stable and not bow / crack - especially if it's a high-speed car :)

Let's see some pics of the start / finish project...

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:02 pm
Thanks bro,

I plan on using Dzus fasteners...probably a ten pack...four on each side and two on the front. I will have plenty of pics in my build thread! ;)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:29 am
Yep, I've seen VFN stuff before. Guys seem to have composite tech. down pat. Wow, 9 pounds for a hood? That's great, can't wait to see it mounted. With that weight I assume, no hood springs, just a prop rod?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic