Help Reshaping my Front Widebody Fenders

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:17 pm
Hello, I am new to these forums and also to bodywork. I am currently restoring a 1991 MR2. I have been spending a lot of time lately working on installing a replica trd widebody kit. The fitment has been pretty decent and I am starting to get the hang of bodywork.

However, the front fenders have way too much of a gap between the fender and the door. Honestly, I am not crazy about the design of the front fenders ( specifically the flat part that sticks out past the front of the door). I would like to cut the front fenders and reshape them to curve back into the door. I have only seen one widebody mr2 that has reshaped the fenders like this, but it looks 100 times better. Here are some pictures so you guys can get an idea of what I am trying to do.

Here are finished pictures of the unmodified trd kit

Here are finished pictures of how I would like to reshape the front fenders

I am not sure about the absolute best way of doing this. I guess that is where you guys come in :) I have never done anything like this before, but I am positive that I can. I also have a lot of free time right now so that helps. The way I have been thinking of doing it, would be to cut out a section of the fender, lay foam in place of the cutout piece, reshape the foam to curve back into the door, somehow seal the foam, then fiberglass over the top, filling and sanding. Is there a better way of doing all of this? What would you guys suggest?

This is my car so far. The areas circled in red are roughly what I thought would need to be removed and reshaped. Let me know what you guys think.....

I would appreciate any advice or tips that you guys have to offer.
Thanks for checking into my thread!

Nick Montgomery

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:57 pm
nmonty - that's a lot of work to accomplish what you want to do. It's do-able, just a lot of work. I do agree the smooth one looks much better.
I don't think I'd use the poly-foam method.
I'd cut and section the fenders using a skill saw - fine-tooth metal blade and try to "bend it" into the rough position. I'd cut the entire ridge on the fender off.
This way you can mark the length and width of the cuts and duplicate them on the opposite peice - help keeping them the same. You may have to mount - dismount the fender many times to get it where you want it.
De-wax and scuff (80-grit :) )and make aluminum strips 1/8" - 1" X 6" (or so) to rivet / screw the fender back in place.
Use epoxy resin and mat to join it back together. Remove the aluminum, scuff and repeat. Use cloth on the finish side.
Using poly foam may not give the strenght necessary and it's dificult to match the contours both sides, free form. But if you do need to fill gaps or the like - poly foam works well. I've used it a lot.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts- ... m-156.html

Good luck... db

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 pm
Nmonty and 80 Grit Guy first welcome to our "plastic" little world.
Nmonty, yep, I too think those fenders looks great molded in that way. I thinkn 80 Grit guy is right about the cut and section method for doing this. I always try to cut and section if it's an area that must be duplicated on the other side of the car or truck. I even will use just small dots of super glue as "temporary" tacks to hold panels in place as I stand back and eyeball or measure each side. On a lot of kit cars some of our sides don't match in the first place!! I prefer to do the foam stuff on one offs like a nose area, wing, etc. There I like to do the "lost foam" method of making the foam shape then dissolving the foam from the back with acetone. Then I can add addtional support from the inside of the new shape. Sometimes I will, on lighter parts, just leave that foam in place. I too use epoxy for this type of work. I've had very good luck with West Sytstems Epoxy. They can be bought in pump cans that are metered so that one pump of each can makes a correct measured batch. Your epoxy always consistently dries, kicks, and hardens every time.
Nmonty if you do cut and section your work please take some pic.s and post back here. We need good info. to build this new section of the web site. And 80 Grit Guy, hang around were just gettin' started with our plastics. 8)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic