Another Little Project

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Han wrote:Apexxn,

Have you painted your Bimmer yet? Or are you still practicing on these
jobs? :)

Can you believe that dude, I still haven't got around to it. :lol:

I keep saying after I do this little job after that little job. But they keep coming in faster than I can do them. I have the two bumpers that I posted to complete and an Audi rear as well and then I'd like to do my own car.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 am
I completely understand as my other car has been sitting for nearly a year.
Had to file non-operational with DMV. :)
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:00 pm
Nice job :) The red in the carbon fiber weave is actually Kevlar. It's a "hybrid" material usually 50% kevlar and 50% carbon fiber. The cloth weaver makes it that way. You can get it in green, yellow, blue, red, orange, brown, silver, and black; but the carbon fiber portion of the weave will always be black.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:34 am
Thanks Fast.

Yea I knew about the colored being Kevlar. These guys are all about the cosmetic factor.
Mike

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:20 am
I love this! I am very into custom work and love the euro style right now.

Apexxn looks like you did a great job! Just wondering what you did to shave the air intake hole on the side of the bumper?
Quality is key

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:45 pm
Thanks.

I cut a round piece from a donor bumper and then bonded it in leaving a little bit of space for filler to level it.

I won't say what I used to bond it because it isn't correct and I don't want to give out bad advice.

But I'm doing another similiar bumper now and will be using products from West System Epoxy.

I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance.
Mike

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm
That would be awesome!

I have never used the West System products but I have used the Automix Plastic repair parts to bond plastic things together. Works great for me and keeps the flexability without cracking or anything.
Quality is key

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm
I made a mistake. I thought West System had bonding products as well as Epoxy resin. They don't from what I saw at a local distributor.

From a quick search I see companys like: 3m, Fusor, Automix and Evercoat are the places I need to look.

What did you bond with the Automix and which one did you use?

I see so many different systems within each brand. I need something good for plastic bumpers that aren't SMC.
Mike

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 am
I actually use the Automix 5887 and sometimes will use Duramix 4240 I have never once had an issue with them and I also get the stuff at $15 ... they are basically the 2 on the right hand side of this picture I took.

The Automix 5887 works great for newer bumpers as it flexes just the same and you can actually sand it to be top coated if you please.

The Duramix 4240 is great for bumpers that are more rigid but still plastic. Its more for use on the rear of a bumper and then the front is to be covered with the Automix 5887.

I learned to use these at work a lot as I do a lot of plastic repairs on bumpers. Like in the winters here in Chicago cars get so cold that when you hit the bumper against anything it basically cracks all over and sometimes punctures holes. The automix can be used two ways really for filling a hole.
1st way is to cut a patch out of a scrap bumper and you glue it into place with the automix around the edge with both peices have the edges "V'd" to a 45 degree angle on each side. Then you sand both sides with 80 or 180 and apply a skim coat of the Automix 5887 on both sides and just sand the top side to your preferred finish.

2nd way is you sand both sides of the area you are filling in with the edges of the hole or opening "V'd" out about 45 degrees on both sides with 80-180 grit (your preference) then you grab a flexible plastic vinyl like formica (I believe what that stuff is) and tape it down on one side then apply the Automix 5887 to the back side and let it sit for 10min then flip it over and just fill it up to the top with the Automix 5887.

I hope this makes some sense to you...if there is something you are not sure of let me know or do a search on google I know a lot of people use the Automix 5887 product.
Quality is key

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:22 pm
Great info I appreciate it.

I'm going to be covering a gap between an aftermarket lip and the OEM bumper. I was looking for some type of plastic panel adhesive to apply a scrap piece of bumper to the back to cover it and then fill it from the front.

Sounds like the Automix might be the best for what I'm doing.

What do you think?
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic