Ideas On A FG Skid Plate

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:42 am
The guy that I'm doing the bumper/lip for wants a skid plate under his cf lip. He wants to run it when he drives it on the street but take it off for shows.

I was just going to trace the bottom of the lip on to some formica, make a mold and lay down resin/cloth/resin/cloth/resin/cloth let it cure, shape it and be done.

My only concern was it might not be strong enough to take a hit and protect the cf. Any ideas on how to make it stronger and or make it easier for me to fabricate.

Thanks.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 am
I've seen similar plates made before and here is the problem. If you make a nice stiff plate on a bumper that is that low you're just adding one more thing under that will have an opportunity to hit or catch. Guy last year had an 03 Mustang with a low body kit and lowered with a plate. The rebar that pinned the parking block in place caught on the plate (his had a metal core so it was plenty stiff). He had it well fastened so it ripped the entire front end off as he pulled back off the block.
I'd be concerned about attaching anything more to that unit underneath. Right now it might get hurt but would flex enough to not tear stuff.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 am
Thanks DK.

He's set on some type of plate so I'll see what I can come up with.
Mike

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:16 am
Apexen,
Unfortunately, anything short of a B and O Cow Catcher will NOT hold up to a curb hit or even a scrape. I have a molded Chevy S-10 Xtreme front that every time I paint it I do a crainial rectal inversion and hit / scrape a curb. The slightest bump sends 4,000 pounds of force into the peice.
If you / he are VERY CAREFUL and avoid parking lot damage then he only has to worry about driving down the road and hitting road junk...
God forbid he lets his wife / GF drive it...
Sorry if that is not the answer you are looking for, but I have the molded X-T (License Plate) to show for it...
He can always - PIPI (Paint It, Park It) :) to aviod damage...
Last edited by 80-Grit Guy on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 am
Make 2. One for show and one for go.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:00 am
I did the skid plate and the owner was very happy with it. He likes it as a cosmetic improvement not just to protect the cf lip.

From start to finish no paint took me an hour. Charged him $100 and he was thanking me for the low price.

He posted pics of it and I have an order for another one. :D

Mike

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic