HD Foam & Pic Test...

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Fast 7 "what happens if someone poked their finger hard into the foam area of the fender now? It looks nice though."

Believe it or not - It's pretty tough. This is thickened epoxy resin, then while green, add resin with chopped fibers. Then a final thickened coat added. That way when you knock it down you don't take away too much epoxy. I'll use epoxy filler for the first couple of skim coats as well. Then epoxy primer - straight to paint.
When messing with projects I do all sorts weird of "tests" with left over resin and foam mat / cloth - or whatever I'm working with. I do this just to test shear and strength. I cut a lot of scraps up and pull apart with pliers and hit with a hammer (in a vise) kinda fun and I HATE to pour it out!!!
If I needed it to be stronger I would have covered it with mat or cloth, but then I wouldn't have been able to get the clear dividing line without too much bulk (IMO). Also wrapping the fender with cloth would have been a PITA.
But if it does take a big hit, it's re-do time. Which is fine by me - I need a color change anyway...
I have a new set of tins - Yellow is the next color...
Maybe with raised flames??
Take care - 80GG
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic