Home made X-Tonneau Cover - -S-10

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 pm

This is a cover I made for my Chevy S10-Xtreme. Dint like what was on the market and had some extra time / supplies... Decided to be a little different and keep the X theme. A LOT of work. Since my truck is a step side it was more of a challenge because of the abnomal shape. This was the last BIG (biggest) project I completed. I had made lots of mold / plug parts before but this was / still is by far the biggest.
The frame was 2x6" by 5 foot boards on a rolling stand. I cut the 2x6s in a curves to make a "fish bone" frame. Seems I spend a lot of time on theThe mold is 1/4" drywall - wetted and curved to make the bow. then cut diamonds to make the X using more 1/4" drywall. I used drywall mud as my "filler" - much easier to form and sand and a LOT cheaper than poly filler. I does take longer to set / dry (overnight) but this was not a job with a deadline. After getting the mold done - 2k primer and finish. I end up spending tooooo much time on the mold - but the more you do the less on the finished part. For the mold you have to think upside down and backwards - kinda fun really.
Then right to wax and mold release.
I think I used 3 gal of glass & heavy mat. The part is HEAVY. A bit of over kill. To add strenght to the part a I cut a length of 1-1/2" PVC long ways and molded it into the underside in an X (keeping the theme :)
To add some depth to the side I used 1" thick foam - attached with epoxy and covered with glass cloth.
The spoiler was a mistake. I wanted an "old school" Z-28 3" style but JC Whitney shipped that - Oh Well. After I (had to) cut it 6" (it looked like an Easter Basket :) ) I molded it to the final...
The lines did not match, but I made the best out of them I could. Since the mold was pretty straight the cover dint need a lot of blocking
As I said - it is HEAVY. I have to linear actuators (one on each side) to open it and a Dakota twin pole switch to power the LED light.
Also I have since moved the tailgate handle inside. I used two 11/16 deep well sockets on the actuators that can slide off in case the actuators fail - so I can get in...
I have some pics of hoods / scoops and sidepipes I made molds / parts for as well...
Thanks 80G

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 pm
**** 80 to say that thing is big is putting it lightly!

If you ever get a chance weigh it.

Drywall mud for filler..... I love it.

Nice work.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm
Wow!!! :shock: And I thought the tonneau was heavy duty on my Super Step Side truck. Great "home style" molding process too. I like that big X theme with it. Hey, about the weight thing, have you ever tried vacuum bagging on anything yet? I know it's done on high end molded parts and some kit cars to reduce weight by sucking out excess resin. I've heard of guys going the home made route on this too by using big "sofa" storage bags and a shop vac. One of my old instrutors does "spot vacuuming" to put down veneer bubbles that can happen in the middle of a panel. He made a portable vacuum pump and just tapes down plastic over the area.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:51 pm
Yes - this seemed like a good idea at the time and then took on a life all its own. Most of my projects do. I just hated the way stepside covers fit / look. Yes it's thick and heavy and I can use it as a bomb shelter!!! I'd say 150 lbs - but only about 30 lbs on the end to lift it - used a bathroom scale and piece of wood to weigh it open. I have 4 - 1/2" eyes in the garage ceiling with rope and 2 - 6' 2x2s I slide under it to remove it - if nobody's there to help. I don't have to drive with sand bags in the bed during winter to add weight :)
I have 2x2" wood molded in along the sides to mount the adjuster pads to - and a wood 2x4 in the back to mount the hinges to.
I use dry wall mud quite a bit when making disposable molds / plugs - Cheap and easy to work with and sands / forms like butter. Once it dries w/ urethane paint it's hard as nails. Just don't expect to re-use the mold.
Never tried vacuum bagging - just wet lay up. You can really save weight without losing strength. And from what I've read any trash bag and vacuum pump will work

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:30 pm
How did you make the mold? I'm new at this and if I can make my own cover for my F150 in a style I like it would be great. If you don't mind and don't want to post it here you can email me.

Thanks,
Cliff

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 pm
Hey, Cliff welcome to the Plastic madness. Just a thought, if what you're wanting is just a "one off" part for youself you might want to consider just using the "lost foam" method of making your tonneau. You can buy sheets of yellow foam or I've even seen guys use the pink foam from hardware stores as your shape. You can even do layers of carved foam for more styling or lettering. You can then use cloth and matt with epoxies or your resin of choice to lay up over that foam, then pour acetone over the back dissolving the foam leaving your new bed cover shell. If you design the shell so it "caps over" the edge you can get push on bulb style weathing stripping from J.C. Whitney that will allow the edge to seal to the edges of the bed.
If you want to learn more about the basics of doing glass work get the free book on DVD here... www.fiberglasssite.com The shipping is like $7 now but the reference information is very useful.
Another good place to go is...
www.fibreglast.com Make sure and hit the Learning Center tab at the top. Between these two web sites you should be able to build or modify just about anything you want.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm
Thanks for the tips I will check them out.UPDATED!!! I called the number on the first link you posted and they are sending me a Free DVD hope to get it soon. I hope to make a cover and front spoiler for my F150 I haven't found one for a 85 so maybe I can make one that incorporates the front bumper.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic