how do you glue them? Poly foam sheets

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm
I just purchased some 3/4 foam sheets from Fiberglast and I was wondering what type of glue I can use to glue them together to make them thicker. I used some spray glue to glue them to my car (Its a Fiero) But the spray didn't do so good on the sheets alone. I have the videos from Fiberglast that shows a guy using Elmers wood glue To glue it to wood, so I'm trying that but it seems like the glue isn't wanting to cure

Vinny

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:38 pm
I use a cheap hot glue gun you can get at any fabric store or hobby shop. Also some of the newer rubberized super glues won't eat foam and work pretty good for what I call "spot tacking." Hey, neat, you're working on a Fiero. I just finished my Finale build at the beginning of last summer. I assume you must be designing some ground effects, fenders, nose, etc??? Any pic.s?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:26 pm
Yeah, This Fiero is like my red headed step child. I've been working on it on and off for about 5 years. It's not very pretty and not near finished. It's an 88GT that I'm thinking of doing a 4.0 Olds swap on. I'm basicly experimenting with the foam right now on the hood and taillights. If I get something substantial done I'll post pictures.

Vinny
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:11 pm
Liquid nails...........

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:29 am
Use contact cement.
IT's available in spray cans or you can buy it by the gallon
in a spray grade. It's used for laminate on counter tops.
It's also what the upholstry people use.
If you can't find a spray grade you can thin it with toluene. 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:33 pm
Does contact cement sand prety good? I knowticed that the wood glue is hard to sand and if you don't watch out it will eat out the foam first.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:18 am
I don't think it's sandable.
It's pretty nasty gooey stuff, kinda rubbery when dried.
Best to spray it but I've used a paint roller for laminate work
and that works really good.
It has to be applied to both surfaces, (it only sticks to itself)
and allowed to dry, then once the two touch, it can't be
adjusted. It's an extremely tight hold instantly.
Best to get the surfaces positioned with spacers first
then remove them while pressing the two together.
(I hope that makes sense) 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:49 pm
I have accually used contact cement on interior carpets and like you said once its there it is there!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 pm
YES!!! Liquid Nails works well - I use the sub floor goo all the time - apply in a caulk gun. Goes on great - sticky and sets well. Use the oil based and not latex. It's a PITA to get off your skin so wear gloves.
BTW it stops rattles in metal hoods where the factory glue let go on the support :P
Also - be careful NOT to glue all the way to where you intend to sand the foam. Only use the LN to glue the foam to the part - not to each other - if you can help it. Reason being the glued foam will NOT sand with the same consistancy as the unglued foam and it becomes a chore to even out the glued parts - also be careful to keep the LN off the foam elsewhere. And since you will cover the foam with thickened epoxy / glass matt, leave lots of room to ensure proper thickness of the final part.
Good - luck - post pics, 80GG

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:28 pm
Well I have still been using wood glue. It does work good but takes a while to setup.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic