How can I extend (build-up) a door panel?? Photos anyone??

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm
I'm trying to learn how to do some basic fiberglassing on my kit car...it's a Fiero based kit car. Both doors have some wide gaps near the top of the door where it meets the front fender...I will post photos soon to show what I'm talking about.

I would like to build up on the outer door skin to close the gaps but I'm not sure how this process of "building up" is done on a door...I'm sure this has been discussed before so I'd like to find a similar thread with photos, if possible to guide me through this process.

Can someone point me to the right direction?? Thanks

VK

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 am
DarrelK!!!

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/about7938.html
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:21 pm
Yeah, I think Han is referring to this in particular...

And something like this...

This happen all the time with body kits and kit cars because the molds start to flex with age, especially molds that don't have good support to begin with. The way I do this is take a fiberglass strengthened product like Duraglass and slop some on the edge to be built up. I rough up the area with 80 grit before I apply it. I let that harden thoroughly before shaping with files, DA, whatever. I leave at least an 80 grit tooth to the filler for my next step. Next (you can see I've done some of this in these pictures at this stage) I chop up fiberglass matt and feed that into epoxy resin which is basted over the Duraglass. If you can get to the back of the new extended edge get some matt on the backside or even use some cloth if you're worried about slamming doors. A layer or two of the chopped up matt on the outside will be very strong. When wetting that matt out on the outside I do try and also wrap it around that edge by an inch or so even if I'm not doing a layer on the back. After all that stuff is dry and hard I hit it lightly with 80 grit and go into my surface filler. By chopping up your matt like this you shouldn't get any patterns or "picturing" coming through your fillers and paint.
By the way I've also seen pro's do this a little different. Where the fender meets the door they just slop their Duraglass competely across the gap, let it harden, then take an air reciprocal saw and cut the body line back open. Then they do the same routine as I did after the body line is back open. That's a little beyond my talent level right now. :oops:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks for the link and congrats on a great Finale project....

I did see the photo you posted on the door jam build-up but I'm not sure I understand HOW you did what you did...How did you build up the gap?? what did you use?? glass mat and resin only??

Thanks for your time and best of luck with your ride

VK

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44 pm
Just slop in the Duraglass to get your shape. The stuff is somewhat strong but you need to layer it with matt and resin so it can stand up to vibration and hits. For edges I almost always use West Systems Epoxy as my resin.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic