Making my new hood fit

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 pm
Talked to them today. General Manager was very appologetic that I've been off and on dealing with this for years now (yes I bought the original hood in mid 04!!!) He said this morning, they brought in a Ram and tried to fit two different hoods and neither one fit, said that they fit horrible and he could see exactly what I was talking about (sound like a broken record now, that's what the last GM told me last year lol).

So, he offered to refund me the money, or if I was not in a hurry, wait a couple or three months until they retool, and once he was sure the hoods were perfect, he'd have me come out to Tyler to the plant, and they will hand fit and finish a hood directly to my truck while I wait. So, Im gonna wait since I really like the hood design and Im in no big hurry, obviously lol.
WWW.DodgeTrucks.org Administrator
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0L V6
My Pix

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm
Man, that's great! Well, I guess from your point of view it will be great WHEN it actually happens. :roll: Sure would be nice to see a company like this stand behind their product on fitment. Sounds like you'll at least get your money back if all else fails.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:41 pm
DarrelK wrote:Man, that's great! Well, I guess from your point of view it will be great WHEN it actually happens. :roll: Sure would be nice to see a company like this stand behind their product on fitment. Sounds like you'll at least get your money back if all else fails.

Yeah but like I told him, I like the design, I just want one that fits more than I want the refund. But, the offer's on the table so if for some reason they just up and decide "Hey, this sucks, let's pull this item from our lineup for good and not eff with it anymore" yeah I'll get my money back. From the sounds of it though the GM really wants to correct the problem. Said they have 12 hoods in stock that they will have to saw into pieces and throw away now since they were all made off that mis-shapen mold.

Im guessing since Im not in a rush and have been very very patient about it and helping point them toward specific problems to look at that's why they are so willing to make it right. If I had phoned them up and called him everything but a white man he might not be so willing to solve the problem.... :wink:
My Pix

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:02 am
Daniel any updates on your hood issue?

I talked to Harwood a couple days ago to see what stage they're at right now. They are in the tooling phase on the inner skin still. I suggested to him that they fill the void between the inner and outer skin in the area where the ram air openings have to be cut out. Seems dumb to have to seperate skins seperated by a quarter inch or more that you have to cut open to make the ram air functional, and have to find a way to pack something in that gap all around the opening. I packed DynaGlass in mine and it worked OK, but was ALOT of work. Would have been WAY easier if it was filled and solid already so you just hack the holes open and file them to rough shape then sand them to final shape. He said they'd do it for sure on mine so that'll be sweet!
My Pix

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 am
I'm glad to hear that you are making progress with Harwood.

To update on mine, I added to the underside along the edge, using four strips of fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin, clamping it down for each layer. It was a messy PITA, and it didn't work. It also was a pain grinding it all off to start over. I was considering bonding in a metal reinforcement, but I just came to the "screw it point" and cut it up. I cut the whole side edge off front to back, about two inches in from the edge, secured it in correct position, first with hot melt glue and then gobs of tiger hair, took the hood off and bonded it with resin and cloth from underneath, and finally flipped it over and ground all the tiger hair off the top. I did the right side first and it actually came out nice, so I am in the process of doing the left side. On the left it wasn't up as much, but a little, and the gap along the fender was wider in front, so I can correct both things at once. That gap was uneven with the stock hood, so that part isn't Harwood's fault. I'll post some pictures when I get it done.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic