Dash pad restoration questions

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:05 pm
Has anyone ever re-vinyled their old dash pad? I know of a company in CA. "Just Dashes" that does this but I'm wondering if one can do a good job at home.

Just dashes method is to remove old foam, rebuild with new and vacuum attach a new piece of vinyl, sounds easy huh!

I do have access to a professional vacuum bag meant for veneer laminating, 4' x 15', just wondering if anybody's done this and what the pitfall's might be.

Thanks,
Evan

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:05 pm
Well, I'm familiar with vacuum bagging veneers, composites, etc., and the process you described makes sense but I couldn't find anything on it.
Anybody???
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 pm
Darrel, since it sounds like you've had experience with vacuum laminating maybe you can answer this....when replacing the foam would I want a closed cell high density foam? I'm thinking the vacuum bag will collapse the foam in the process of adhering the vinyl to the pad or would the closed cells cause a problem because the air cant be pulled out?

I've never used the vacuum process for veneers (usually I'm dealing with laminate the old fashion way, roller and glue) but I watched a demonstration at a wooden boat festival where a piece of veneer was applied to cabinet grade 1/4" interior plywood with epoxy and the process pulled the epoxy completely through the wood fiber including the plywood. When its a true vacuum its got some serious pull. That piece of wood was essentially fully impregnated with the epoxy.

I just wouldn't want to waste the effort, any thoughts??

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am
I would think (again, if anyone knows more about this, step right in) that you would have to used closed cell foam and pull a very light vacuum just short of deforming the underlying foam.
The way you're wanting to do this is more like how vacuum bagging is done to wood veneers still using just contact cements or regular wood glues. When that is done the glues still remain under the veneer surface instead of bleeding up through like you mentioned about the epoxy method.
Sounds like you are just going to have to take some scraps and do some samples. Once you've done a sample get it in the sun for a few days and see if the heat and UV are causing any bubbling. That's what kills dashes.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm
The best dash resto place in the world is minutes from me here. I've seen how it's done. They repair the foam with urethane foam,same stuff as used originally. the dash is fitted to a former to hold it's shape,the vinyl is preglued and laid over the foam back. Then a rubber sheet is placed over the whole lot. It's sitting on a stainless steel bed full of thousands of holes. The rubber is clamped on the edges to seal it and the whole lot is vacuumed down for a hour. result ..one new dash .
Competitve pricing and they've been shipping world wide for over 20 years.
and,no I don't work for them ..
http://www.dashboardrestorations.com.au/process.htm

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 pm
thanks Ron, appreciate the link. It seems kind of hard finding the suppliers for this type of materials, the vinyl, foam, etc... its hard to even find the right people to even ask the questions too.

I'd like to try & do it myself & if I screw it up then I'll break down & send it off to someone. Over here the only place I've found is called "Just Dashes" in CA. they do a similar vacuum forming process & I have access to a complete vacuum system its just finding the right materials & practicing a bit.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic